STATEMENT OF RPLC

Rakhing Patriotic Literature Club

STATEMENT ON THE 37TH ANNIVERSARY OF
THE GRIEVOUS 7TH July MEMORIAL DAY

The 7th July 1999 marks one of the most honorable and sorrowful occasions of
Burma.  On the 2nd March 1962, the military dictator General Ne Win and his
military staged coup and seized the state power of Burma under the name of
Revolutionary Council.
The so-called Revolutionary Council transformed into the BSPP on the 4th July
1962 to prolong the military dictatorship in Burma.  That led the Rangoon
University students to stage peaceful demonstration against the military
dictatorship and demanded to restore democracy in Burma at the Rangoon
University Compound.
The military brutally crushed the student's demonstration.  Several hundred
students were shot dead as the military opened fired at the demonstrators.
The
Student Union Building, which situates in the Rangoon University compound, was
blast down into pieces by the military.
1. We, the RPLC, strongly condemn the power-thirsty General NE Win and his
military that brutally killed the most valuable students of Burma.
2. On the historic occasion of 7th July, the RPLC would like to honor the
student heroes who fought for democracy against the military dictatorship
on 7th
July 1962.
3. We, the RPLC, pledge to strengthen our struggle toward democracy in Burma.

The Executive CommitteeRakhing Patriotic Literature Club

RPLC
P O BOX 118 - Sansennai P O
Bangkok 10400  Thailand.