Statement on the 52nd Anniversary o

Subject: Statement on the 52nd Anniversary of

Statement on the 52nd Anniversary of Martyrs? Day.

1. Nine National Independent leaders, including national leader Gen- Aung San,
were assassinated on 19 July 1947 by the colonial government and its
associates. They were assassinated while national solidarity that was the
basis
of national independence was accelerating. It was a huge loss for the Burmese
political situation and for all of the people in the nation.
2. National leader Gen-Aung San is a historical figure who initiated the
student movements for anti-colonialism, national education, national
independence, and the first student union. He was also the first founder of
the
National Patriotic Army. We, All Burma Federation of Student Union, believe
that he implemented national reconciliation not only with national political
forces but also with ethnic forces in order to gain national unity and,
furthermore, national independence.
3. Burmese people felt that the assassination of Gen Aung San was a huge
irrevocable event that led to the break down of national reconciliation. With
the inner-struggle of national forces after independence, a civil war broke
out
and the military gained the power necessary to begin the dictatorship. The
patriotic army that was founded for all nationalities by Gen Aung San became
the handed stick of the military dictatorship and was used to oppress the
nationalities. The current regime (SPDC) is also guilty of disturbing the
national reconciliation that was initiated by Gen Aung San by using violent
means to crush ethnic forces, intentionally creating new conflicts among the
nationalities, and oppressing political forces throughout the country.
4. We, ABFSU, note on Martyrs Day, that the assassination of Gen Aung San and
other ethnic leaders is an unforgettable event in Burmese history. Though we
gained the national independence that was intended by the Martyrs, we did not
achieve the complete manifestations of independence such as national
reconciliation, internal peace and equality, and political freedom. To get
these outcomes, we will continue to struggle and coordinate with other
democratic forces and ethnic forces.
5. We, Foreign Affairs Committee of ABFSU, vow to forward the struggle of
genuine independence, genuine internal peace, genuine equalities, and the

rights that were the intention of the national leaders. We firmly stand upon
the basic principles of ABFSU such as the safeguarding of student rights,
democratic education, democracy, peace, the national cause, and the three
flags
of our struggle; democracy flag , internal peace flag, and national solidarity
flag.

Foreign Affairs Committee
All Burma Federation of Student Unions.
(19.7.1999)