AFP: Asian activists blast ASEAN in

Subject: AFP: Asian activists blast ASEAN inaction over human rights issues

ASEAN-rights
Asian activists blast ASEAN inaction over human rights issues
by Lim Yun-Suk

SINGAPORE, July 22 (AFP) - Human rights activists from Southeast Asian
countries on Thursday blasted ASEAN for failing to tackle the issue of
democratic norms.

The activists representing Singapore, Myanmar (Burma), Indonesia, the
Philippines and Malaysia said it was important for ASEAN to realise that
economic recovery was interlinked with human rights issues.

Foreign Ministers from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations
(ASEAN), which also groups Brunei, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam,
begin an annual meeting here Friday.
"There is no question the main predominant issue for ASEAN a the moment
is to see a recovery from economic recession. I don't think anyone will make
a dispute with that," J.B. Jeyaretnam of Open Singapore Centre (OSC) said.

"But we hope to remind the ministers attending the meeting that things
like human rights, and accountability and openness are very relevant to the
whole question of economic process and recovery.

"We can't just talk about economic recovery without speaking of, being
concerned (with) the impact on human rights and human freedom," he said at a
press conference.

The groups said they would issue a joint statement on Friday, addressed
to the ministers attending the ASEAN meeting here this week.

Debbie Stothard, representing a human rights group in Myanmar, said ASEAN
needed to grow up and tackle the human rights issues, instead of ignoring it
by calling it an "internal problem"

"My message to ASEAN is get real, grow up, learn how to grapple with the
problem. The problem won't go away if you just ignore it and hide behind the
excuse of non-interference," she said.

Referring to the ASEAN ministers' plan to hold a three-hour retreat over
the weekend at the island resort of Sentosa for a "soul-searching session,"
Stothard said: "Does ASEAN have a soul?"

"ASEAN lost its soul long time ago by refusing to acknowledge the reality
that human rights are invisible from economic developments and stability."

She said allowing Myanmar to become a member of ASEAN two years ago had
worsened the human rights situation, and ASEAN had in turn given the Yangon
junta "credibility when it should not be getting it."

It said ASEAN was the "only regional organisation that accepts Burma,"
adding that Yangon's officials are able to "hold up their heads at the ASEAN

meeting."

"ASEAN should get firm with Burma," she said, adding that the regional
grouping has failed to effect any positive development in Myanmar.

"ASEAN's lack of handling of Burma's problem is a huge international
embarrassment." she said.

Referring to the Indonesian territory of East Timor, she said it "was a
problem in our frontyard. ASEAN failed to engage constructively on the
situation on East Timor."

She said the current developments on East Timor -- with a vote due on
Jakarta's offer of autonomy -- were due not to ASEAN but because "other
governments outside the region worked very hard to make it happen."

A L T S E A N - B U R M A
Alternative Asean Network on Burma
Tel: 66 2 275 1811 * Fax: 66 2 693 4515
<altsean@xxxxxxxxxx>