AFP-Myanmar army helping to funnel

Subject: AFP-Myanmar army helping to funnel drugs into Thailand: report

Myanmar army helping to funnel drugs into Thailand: report
BANGKOK, July 25 (AFP) - Furious Thai officials have accused Myanmar troops
of helping to funnel hundreds of millions of amphetamines into Thailand, a
report quoting a senior anti-drugs officer said Sunday.
The Bangkok Post reported that military officers were supporting the
minority United Wa State Army (UWSA), one of the biggest suppliers of drugs
in the Golden Triange region of parts of Thailand, Myanmar and Laos.

"The (Myanmar) military has played an active role behind the UWSA's
production of speed pills along our common border," the paper quoted a high
ranking officer of the National Narcotics Operation Centre as saying.

"They have set a target to produce 200 million amphetamine tablets for
export to our country this year," he said.

"The drug problem along the border is getting very serious because (Myanmar)
is not sincere," the officer, who spoke on condition of anonymity said.

He accused the government in Yangon of being "two faced" by pledging to
fight narcotics production but acting otherwise.

Thai army chief, General Surayud Chulanond said after a trip to the border
with Myanmar in northwestern Thailand that Thai officials were closely
watching the activities of drugs lords.

"We are deeply concerned with the situation there, but cannot say much.

"It is easy to go to war, but it would be a hard fight.

"Before that we have to think hard....we will opt for negotiation first,"
the Post quoted him as saying.

There was no immediate comment on the allegations by Myanmar officials.

Thai and Myanmar narcotics officials met earlier this year and agreed to
synchronise their fight against drugs.

Myanmar is one of the world's biggest producers of heroin along with
Afghanistan and is accused of hosting hundreds of amphetamines factories.

Thai security officials said recently they would make "no more compromise"
with drug lords as they announced the start of a huge police and army
operation along the border.

Narcotics smugglers risk being shot on sight in an operation involving 800
officers, backed by air and artillery support along the border in Chiang Mai
and Chiang Rai provinces.

Thai officials have accused Myanmar authorities of failing to adequately
control border areas. They say roofs of amphetamine factories are clearly
visible from the Thai side.

Myanmar has also been repeatedly criticised by the United States and the
international community for allegedly allowing rebellious ethnic minorities
to run drug operations in return for ceasefire agreements.