ASEAN/US

Text: Albright July 27 Remarks at ASEAN Ten-Plus-One Meeting
(Cooperation needed to combat crime, help environment)  (910)

The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and its partners
must work together to deal with transnational issues such as crime and
the environment, according to Secretary of State Madeleine Albright.

"On narcotics, the United States has a history of close cooperation
with ASEAN countries and the United Nations," Albright said in July 27
remarks in Singapore. "This fight must be waged on all fronts. We have
to reduce demand, cut supply, intercept shipments and seize profits.
And we must secure the full cooperation of every government, because
in many ways, we are only as strong as our weakest link."

Albright also highlighted the issue of illegal trafficking in women
and children. "This is a growing menace worldwide," she said. "It is
devastating for the individuals who are victimized. And it undermines
broad standards of law, labor and health."

Albright brought up two environmental problems -- air pollution and
global climate change -- that will require "a transnational response."

"Industrialized countries must take the lead in reducing greenhouse
gas emissions. But the problem cannot be brought under control without
the participation of all countries," she said.

"We are committed to working with ASEAN to combat climate change
without compromising any nation's development. We think the way to do
this is by making full use of market-based mechanisms, while limiting
emissions growth," she said.

Following is the text of Albright's remarks, as prepared for delivery:

(begin text)

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Office of the Spokesman
(Singapore)

As prepared for delivery             July 27, 1999
99/656

OPENING REMARKS BY
SECRETARY OF STATE MADELEINE K. ALBRIGHT
ASEAN POST MINISTERIAL CONFERENCE
10 + 1 MEETING

Let me begin by thanking our co-chairs Malaysia and Vietnam for this
10+1 session. I appreciate the opportunity it affords to discuss
transnational issues, particularly crime and the environment.

These are matters that relate directly to the quality of life our
citizens enjoy, and have major economic and social consequences. They
are also issues that require cooperative action. We cannot safeguard
our citizens from crime or ensure a healthy environment through
unilateral actions alone. We have to work together.

The Hanoi Action Plan recognizes this, and offers a useful guide to
efforts both within ASEAN, and between ASEAN and its partners,
including the United States.

To start with crime, obviously our concerns are not new. But criminals
are now combining old tools of coercion and corruption with cutting
edge technology. Their goal is to evade national controls and render
national borders irrelevant. This threatens us all.

We must respond -- and we are. Establishment of the International Law
Enforcement Academy in Bangkok is a major step forward. Its purpose is
to provide high-quality training, while strengthening the regional
network of law enforcement professionals.

On narcotics, the United States has a history of close cooperation
with ASEAN countries and the United Nations. This fight must be waged
on all fronts. We have to reduce demand, cut supply, intercept
shipments and seize profits. And we must secure the full cooperation
of every government, because in many ways, we are only as strong as
our weakest link.

Another aspect of the crime problem I want to highlight is illegal
trafficking in women and children. This is a growing menace worldwide.
It is devastating for the individuals who are victimized. And it
undermines broad standards of law, labor and health.

There is a saying that money can buy everything. I hope we can agree
that this saying should never apply to human beings. So I am pleased
that we will be co-chairing a regional workshop on this subject with
the Philippines next spring, to build on measures already initiated by
members of ASEAN.

The environment is another transnational problem that requires a
transnational response. This challenge has recently been dramatized in
Southeast Asia by pollution from uncontrolled forest, peat and coal
seam fires. There is no more basic a human right than the right to
breathe. But the haze has sometimes made exercising this right a
dangerous proposition.

The United States has tried to help by providing roughly $9 million in
technical aid and working with the Haze Action Task Force. We are also
supporting projects in such priority areas as improved forestry
management, coral reef preservation, biodiversity, and the development
of environmentally-friendly technologies.

Perhaps the most serious long-range environmental problem we face is
global climate change. Industrialized countries must take the lead in
reducing greenhouse gas emissions. But the problem cannot be brought
under control without the participation of all countries.

We are committed to working with ASEAN to combat climate change
without compromising any nation's development. We think the way to do
this is by making full use of market-based mechanisms, while limiting
emissions growth.

I am anxious to proceed to our discussion, but let me first again
express my thanks for the opportunity to focus on these issues. As
evidenced by this week's meetings, the United States is engaged with
ASEAN on a full range of economic and security matters. But it is
important that we set aside time to spotlight transnational problems.
In many ways, these are the challenges of the future, and it will be

increasingly urgent that we respond effectively to them.

In that spirit, I am eager to hear your perspectives and to explore
further areas for cooperation.

(end text)

----