Australia, Policy Doesn't a Human

Subject: RE: Australia, Policy  Doesn't a Human Rights Commission done

throught the junta seem ... counter-productive.
To: burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx

Australian Policy

Hi all,

I think we can all calm down for the time being.  I have been in touch with
Foreign Affairs over the past few weeks and will meet with them next week.

Basically Australian Policy doesn't change.  Niether encourage or
discourage trade, support to refugees and immigration program, ban on
defence equipment and military cooperation and bilateral aid.  Aid would be
the carrot, in the case of HRC, is my understanding.

HRC is not a new initiative. Downer floated the idea at ARF meetings last
year and has apparently been working through Lyndal Maclean, Aus Ambo to
Burma, to encourage the dictatorship to look at the proposal.  This year he

sought and got permission from Win Aung to have Australia's Human Rights
Commissioner Chris Sidoti, go to Burma for talks.

The Australian Human Rights Commission was set up in respect of the
Declaration of Human Rights and I am assured that if a Commission is taken
seriously, or set up at all, it will have the same Charter and respect.
Meanwhile there are reports that Win Aung has reiterated his call, "no
interferance", they will do it their way.  My guess is that this will not
happen.

Pros, Cons and Considerations.

The HRC is a good idea if it is set up with consultation and approval of
the NLD.
The Aus. Government assures me that the NLD has been consulted and Sidoti
will meet with Tin Oo next week.
HRC, Indonesia has been "relatively" independant and unless Burma was the
same it would not be recognised by the international community.
The risks, obviously, that the dictatorship sets the thing up, as yet
another, propaganda tool.
I have some faith that Downer will not push for this or endorse it if it is
not to be independant and have the support of the NLD.  I know he has
publically said that Daw Suu is not likely to endorse it but that may be
negatiable, depending on the modus opperandi.

Hope this clarifies things a little.  You can get back to me with any
specific questions and I will attempt to answer them.

Love and all the best to all,

Amanda

Working on behalf of the:
National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma (NCGUB)
Federation of Trade Unions, Burma (FTUB)
Australia Burma Council (ABC)

PO Box 2024, Queanbeyan, NSW 2620