NEWS - Activist earns threat campai

Subject: NEWS - Activist earns threat campaign

THE NATION - July 31, 1999

Headlines

DEATH THREAT

Activist earns threat campaign

CHIANG MAI -- A well-known social critic and Chiang Mai University (CMU)
historian yesterday received a death threat suspected to be related to
his
strong support for a villagers' rights gathering last May.

Two letters were sent to Prof Nithi Eawsriwong last night, one from
Chachoengsao and another from Nonthaburi province, warning him to stop
supporting and being involved with the local villagers' movement.

''If you do not stop your supporting role, death will be visited upon
you
and your family,'' the Nonthaburi letter declared.

The latest letters are the fourth case of intimidation regarding leading
academics in Chiang Mai. The first case concerned Dr Chayan
Vaddhanaputhi, a
lecturer at CMU's Department of Political Science and Director of the
Ethnic
Study Network (Ethnet).

The second concerned Chaiphan Praphasawas, a Chiang Mai-based adviser to
the
Assembly of the Poor and a former lecturer at Silapakorn University. The
third concerned Uthaiwan Kanchanakamol, lecturer at the CMU's Faculty of
Dentistry and president of the Local Democratic Campaign committee.

All four academics strongly supported a call made by village tribal
people
who gathered in the Northern provinces last May for the government to
allow
villagers to live on forest land by enforcing the Community Forest Bill.

Apart from the issue of tribal support, the academics also had a
prominent
and significant role in supporting local villagers to empower
themselves, in
line with the principle of the Constitution. Three of the scholars,
excluding Chaiphan, have been involved academically with problems of the
poor, both within the region and at a national level.

It had just been announced that Nithi himself has received the Japanese
Fukuoka Award for his work as a prominent historian who has brought a
fresh
and creative atmosphere to historical research. He is to travel to Japan
next month to receive the award.

However, Nithi was not available for comment yesterday because he has
received hospital treatment due to health problems.

Meanwhile, Chayan said that he is upset over the death threats.

''I do not understand what has happened in our society. It seems we do
not
want to use wisdom and reason to discuss social problems. We also do not
wish to assess problems through information and debate. We instead
prefer to
use violence and force,'' he said.

''Even though these are only threats, the letters do in part reflect
what
members of society think. It seems that there is growing a momentum
against
transparency and accountability,'' he said.

Nithi has long acted as a social critic, warning against perceived
threats
to society, which is the ideal role of academics -- and he should
receive
due respect for this, Chayan added.

''Personally, I accept that I have been shaken by the threats. I worry
for
my family who are not responsible for my activities. They should not
have to
suffer this situation,'' he added.

Chayan said he did not have any personal conflicts which could result in
such threats.

Meanwhile, Chaiphan yesterday called on the government, particularly
Interior Minister Sanan Kachornprasart, to act upon the threats in order
prevent possible violence.

''This is not a personal conflict for us, but one representative issue
of
the academics' role with regard to social problems,'' he pointed out.

BY KAMOL SUKIN