Prizes presented to baby friendly h

Subject: Prizes presented to baby friendly hospitals, townships

Prizes presented to baby friendly hospitals, townships

YANGON, 1 Aug-Prizes were presented to hospitals? and townships in
recognition of their participation in practicing systematic breastfeeding in
commemoration of World Breastfeeding Week movement at the Institute of
Nursing on Bogyoke Aung San Road this morning. Minister for Health Maj-Gen
Ket Sein gave a speech. He said:

Distinguished guests, representatives of UN organizations, officials from the
various departments under the Ministry of Health, representatives of
non-governmental organizations, basic health services staff and all others
who will be receiving awards today:

First of all I would like to extend my warmest greetings to all of you.

Since 1992, the first week of August has been designated World Breast feeding
Week and celebrated worldwide with various activities in different ways.
Likewise, in Myanmar, this is the 8th year in succession that we have
commemorated World Breastfeeding Week. To day?s award giving ceremony marks
the inauguration of this year?s weeklong activities.

The continuing success of the Baby Friendly Initiative depends on the
cooperation and collaboration of the basic health staff of the Ministry of
Health together with allied ministries, NGOs, various UN organizations and
the private sector. So in conclusion, I would like to urge all present to
work hand in hand to keep the Baby Friendly Initiatives flourishing and
active.

Resident Representative of UNICEF Dr Juan Aquilar made a speech.

Then, Minister Maj-Gen Ket Sein, Deputy Ministers Dr Mya Oo and Brig-Gen Aung
Thein, Resident Representative of UNICEF Dr Juan Aquilar and Director-General
Dr Wan Maung presented prizes to 11 townships and 30 hospitals practicing
systematic breastfeeding in commemoration of World Breastfeeding Week
movement.

Afterwards, the minister, deputy ministers and officials visited the
exhibition on Breastfeeding Education for Life in the hall of the Institute
of Nursing.