Media Release for 11th Anniversary

Subject: Media Release for 11th Anniversary of 8888 (Australia)

MEDIA  RELEASE
---------------------------
COMMEMORATION OF THE 8.8.88 (PRO-DEMOCRACY UPRISING IN BURMA)
-------------------------------------

1.    DONATION  OF  BLOOD
        -----------------------------------

8 student activists of the Burmese community in Victoria will donate blood
in the morning of the 8th August 1999 between 10.00 am and 11 am at the Red
Cross Blood Bank, 171 City Road, South. Bank.

Millions of people all over Burma including academics, monks, students,
farmers and workers joined in the general strike and also massive street
demonstrations in Rangoon, calling for democracy and human rights. Similar
demonstrations were held in other major cities and towns on 8 August 1988,
which led to the downfall of three subsequent military governments.

The military regime brutally cracked down on the peaceful demonstrators
resulting in the loss of tens of thousands of lives. The massacre was
followed by the military coup on the September 18, 1988.

"Despite the brutal oppression of the military junta, the people of Burma
continue the struggle at the cost of their lives. We are giving our blood
today to express our support in deep appreciation of their sacrifices and
commitment for the cause. We also intend to highlight the cost in human
lives of our struggle for freedom and justice."

2.    PUBLIC  RALLY
       -----------------------
A public rally will take place on Sunday 8 August 1999, between the hours of
12 noon and 2.00 pm on the steps of the Victorian Parliament in Spring
Street, Melbourne.

The program of the day is as follows:

-   Opening Speech by a student activist
-   Laying of Wreath and a 1 minute silence in salute to the fallen
democracy fighters
    during the 8888 pro democracy movement
-   Reading of Joint Statement
-   Speaker -  President, International Society of Human Rights
-   Speaker -  An Australian Senator
-   A Student Activist (One of the 8 blood donors)
-   Speaker  -  An Australian former Ambassador to Burma
-   Speaker -   Victorian Regional Co-ordinator - Amnesty International
-   Speaker -  An International Officer - ACTU
-   Re-enactment of a peaceful demonstration and military crackdown by the

student
    activists.
-   An Australian will sing the song ?Free Burma?
-   5 minutes ?Sit-in? Protest against the current Burmese military regime
(SPDC)

Program ends.

Contacts -
Thein Naing: Tel (03) 98193358, Nyan Lynn Shwe: 0411 261 664
Kyaw Soe Moe: Tel (03) 95461115, Myo Aye: maye@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Patricia Pond: Fax (03) 95688425, Toe Zaw Latt: tzawlatt@xxxxxxxxxxx