2/8/99:LETTER TO UN SECRETARY-GENER (r)

Subject: 2/8/99:LETTER TO UN SECRETARY-GENERAL KOFI ANNAN

WRITTEN 9-AUG-99: 6:00AM

A LETTER TO UN SECRETARY-GENERAL(2/8/99)
[Added note: Our friends on internet are well aware that, inspite our
objection for Burma's illegitimate Foreign Minister attending ASEAN
meeting, H.E. U Win Aung was able to show up at ASEAN meeting. Our
efforts certainly need to continue in this regards, especially at the
forthcoming United Nations General Assembly: SPDC/SLORC appointed
ministers must not be allowed to take the Assembly floor. Please write
letter to UN Secretary-General to raise this matter. Also ask
Secretary-General to take a proper action against the SPDC/SLORC using
terrorist methods to suppress democracy activists in Burma.
---Regards, U Ne Oo.
-------------------------------------
Dr U Ne Oo
18 Shannon Place
Adelaide SA 5000
AUSTRALIA

2nd August, 1999.

Mr Kofi Annan
UN Secretary-General
United Nations Headquarters
New York, NY 10017
United States of America

Dear Secretary-General:

Please find enclosed letter to the General Secretary of ASEAN,
H.E.Rodolfo Severino, on 14 July, 1999. I have requested ASEAN regional
grouping at their annual meetings to refuse to give floor to H.E.U Win
Aung unless Burmese military junta agrees to international mediation and
to start dialogue with the opposition. In this connection, I also like
to recall my letters to you on  17 November 1998, as well as letter to
US Secretary of State on 15 September 1998.

Because the time for 1999 United Nations General Assembly has come
closer, I like to remind the Secretary-General as well as international
community to refuse to give floor to H.E.U Win Aung (or anyone appointed
by SPDC/SLORC as Burmese Foreign Minister) during this years' general
assembly, because the SPDC/SLORC has no legitimate right to appoint a
cabinet minister. The SPDC/SLORC appointed cabinet ministers are
illegitimate unless such appointment being approved by Committee
Representing People Parliament (or) the Burma's Parliament. I believe it
is the right time for international community to recognise the CRPP and
Burma's Parliament as a legitimate instrument of the will of the Burmese
people.

Another disturbing development is that the military government in Burma
resorting to terrorist methods, such as taking of hostage, to stamp out
the political dissidents. The Amnesty International reported in their
Urgent Action (UA 183/99) on 27 July 1999 that the local Military
Intelligence in Pegu City held 19 people to hostage in an attempt to
arrest one pro-democracy and non-violent activist. The Military
Intelligence have arrested the family members of above mentioned
activist, including his 3 years old daughter, in order to pressure the
activist to come out of the hiding. The girl was released after 5 days
in detention--thanks to the concerns raised by Amnesty. However, the
wife of the activist as well as close relatives remained in detention of
MIS. I fear that such inhuman practice of hostage taking by government
may be widespread within Burma. I ask Secretary-General and competent
organisation such International Committee of Red Cross to take
appropriate action on Burmese military government regarding with such
illegal and terrorist conducts.

Yours respectfully and sincerely
Sd. U Ne Oo
--