Bangkok Post (8/8/99) (r)

SOCCER / PREVIEW

<bold>Withe's men confident of putting goals past Burma

Tor Chittinand

</bold>

Reigning champions Thailand are confident of beating Burma in the last
match of the preliminary round of the SEA Games soccer competition
tonight (7.30 p.m. Thai time).

The Thais will go into the match knowing exactly how many goals they will
need to score to finish top of Group A because Vietnam's match against
the Philippines starts at 3 p.m.

Vietnam and Thailand have already qualified for the semi-finals and
Thailand are currently ahead of Vietnam on goal difference.

Indonesia and Singapore have qualified for the semi-finals from Group B
but the final positions in that group will not be decided until after
tomorrow's games.

The last time Thailand met Burma was at the last Sea Games in Jakarta two
years ago when the Thais won 2-0.

Yesterday morning, the Thai team went though a training session but
injured defender Surachai Jirasirichote was not able to take part because
he broke his nose and had stitches over the eye during the 0-0 draw with
Vietnam on Thursday.

After training, Thai head coach, Peter Withe said: "It should be an
easier match than the game against Vietnam on Thursday.

"In place of Surachai, I will use Kritsada Piendit.

"The other positions should remain the same although in midfield I may
have to decide between Tawatchai Dumrong-ongtrakul and Anurak Srikerd.

"Kiatisak and Seksan will play up front as usual."Thai captain Kiatisak
"Zico" Senamuang said; "It will be a tough match as Burma always play
hard against us.

"We are not thinking about who we might play in the semi-finals, we are
just concentrating on making sure we beat Burma."Thai manager Virat
Charnpanich said: "We will probably rest Anurak Srikerd because he got a
yellow card in the match against Vietnam.

"Although Surachai is improving, Kritsada will play in his
place."PROBABLE THAI TEAMVirat Wangchan, Dusit Chalermsaeng, Pattanapong
Sripramote, Chukiet Nusaluang, Choketawee Promrat, Kritsada Piendit,
Tawan Sripan, Tawatchai Sripan or Anurak Srikerd, Tawatchai
Dumrong-ongtrakul, Seksan Piturat, Kiatisak Senamuang