The BurmaNet News: August 9, 1999

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
 "Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: August 9, 1999
Issue #1332

Noted in Passing: "Democracy brings benefits to the majority of the people
as well as the Tadmadaw." - U Tin Oo, NLD Vice Chairperson (see NLD:
MESSAGE TO TADMADAW)

HEADLINES:
==========
NLD: MESSAGE TO TADMADAW
VOA: BURMA ANNIVERSARY
ABSDF: BURMESE FORCED TO REDUCE RICE PRICE
REUTERS: MYANMAR DIRECT DIALING, BUT AT A PRICE
NLM: U LINN MYAING APPOINTED AMBASSADOR TO FRANCE
XINHUA: MYANMAR, T'LAND, UNDCP TO MEET
THE BANGKOK POST: GEMS MAKE US RICH, SAY WA
THE NATION: AUSTRALIA DEFENDS HR VISIT TO RANGOON

NATIONAL LEAGUE FOR DEMOCRACY: MESSAGE TO TADMADAW
7 August, 1999 by U Tin Oo and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi

[Unofficial translation by Altsean-Burma.]

Translator's Note: In a Burmese-language radio message released in time for
the 11th anniversary of the 8888 uprising, NLD leaders U Tin Oo and Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi called for the Tadmadaw (army) to work with the people to
achieve democracy. NLD General Secretary Daw Aung San Suu Kyi invited army
men to communicate with the party to clear up any misunderstandings while
party Vice-Chairperson U Tin Oo assured soldiers that they would benefit
from a democratic system.

-Message to Tadmadaw from U Tin Oo, Vice-Chairperson, National League for
Democracy-

I am the vice-chairperson of the National League for Democracy. I want to
speak with goodwill from my heart. I studied in National High School until
I graduated. My patriotic and military thinking was formed through the
teachings of the school principal and the teachers. Through the Students
Union, I learnt about Bogyoke (General) Aung San's efforts in the struggle
for independence; this inspired me to be actively involved in independence
struggle.

I was a private when the Burma Defence Army was formed. I was in the third
batch of Officer Training, before the Defence Service Academy was formed.
It's very hard to express how difficult the training was. It was our belief
in the independence struggle that helped us to complete the rigorous
training. During that time Bogyoke Aung San and the chief of staff
frequently came to the training. Their talks boosted our morale and won our
hearts. After [completing training], I was assigned to Major Ba Htoo's
command, under very hard and life-threatening conditions in the Northwest.
At this time I was first introduced to the hardship of battle. We waged the
anti-fascist struggle. We did not get any salary or support. We were so
poor but we were happy.

This is because the people treated us as they would their own children. We
(soldiers) did not burden the people. We respected the people as our own
our mothers and fathers. When the Tadmadaw was reformed in accordance with
the Kanney Agreement, Bogyoke made the classic example not to mix up party
politics with the military.

We served (in the Tadmadaw) according to the teachings of Bogyoke and the
experiences we gained through the history. We followed it as the principles
of the soldiers. The soldiers have to stay clear from party politics.
Military men must work only as soldiers. It is not true that we need to
have very large number of soldiers. We need ability and quality.

In the parliamentary democracy era after independence, it was very joyful
to work in a Tadmadaw that safeguarded democracy. Democracy brings benefits
to the majority of the people as well as the Tadmadaw. Achieving democracy
will not hurt the soldiers; instead it will benefit them.

>From my experience I clearly see and deeply believe that only democracy can
bring about freedom and peace. Therefore I wish to say with love and loving
kindness that I want the Tadmadaw to be modernised and developed, a
Tadmadaw that will safeguard democracy, a Tadmadaw which respects the
people as their mothers and fathers and is loved by the people. Thank you.

-Message to Tadmadaw from Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, General Secretary, National
League for Democracy-

The national leaders of Burmese independence established our country as a
democratic country. The people and the army fought hand in hand for our
independence. It is also necessary that the army and the people work hand
in hand to achieve democracy, where the people govern the country. There is
no question that the people's government will honour the role of Tadmadaw
men (soldiers).

There are people who try to break the goodwill between the NLD and the
Tadmadaw. They claim that the NLD does not work in the interests of the
nation, that the NLD does not work in the interests of the Tadmadaw.
However, we are the ones who consistently want to see the Tadmadaw restored
to a position of honour. We want to see the Tadmadaw gain the goodwill of
the people. Therefore, we think that our Tadmadaw should work in the
interests of the people to achieve democracy.

The country will have peace and development only when the people and
Tadmadaw are in agreement. The Tadmadaw is not a group from other country,
so we sometimes cannot agree when people refer to the Tadmadaw and the
people as separate. Tadmadaw men come from the people.

It is also inappropriate to create misunderstandings between Tadmadaw and
politicians. It is necessary to have understanding between the politicians
who shape the government and the Tadmadaw, which is responsible for the
security of the country. We are constantly trying to achieve this
understanding.

In the National League for Democracy, we have high-ranking officers whom
once served in the Burma Army. We in the NLD understand very well the needs
of the Tadmadaw. We also want the Tadmadaw to know what we are trying to do
for our country. To achieve this understanding we need to have the freedom
to communicate and discuss. We are always ready to explain our position to
those who claim the NLD is the enemy of the country, enemy of the Tadmadaw.
If Tadmadaw men have any queries, they can always ask us. We will answer
truthfully and openly.

Burma gained her independence more than fifty years ago. However, despite
being independent for more than fifty years, Burma is not as developed as
it should be. This is because we do not have unity in our country. We all
need to work together to achieve it. It cannot be done by one side only.
Everybody must have the will to achieve unity. This is why I request the
people and the Tadmadaw men of our country to work together to build a
democratic country.

VOICE OF AMERICA: BURMA ANNIVERSARY
8 August, 1999 by David Butler

Burma was reported calm Sunday, on the 11th anniversary of nationwide
pro-democracy demonstrations that were later crushed by security forces. As
David Butler reports, Burmese exiles in the Thai capital staged a dramatic
protest rally there.

Rangoon and other Burmese cities and towns were reported calm Sunday, with
young people and shoppers crowding markets.  Few people heeded calls by
Burmese exiles to wear clothing with yellow and other light colors.  Eleven
years ago -- August eighth 1988 -- tens of thousands of Burmese gathered in
cities and towns, throughout the country, at the height of that summer's
pro-democracy protests.  The demonstrations on the day Burmese call
eight-eight 88 were followed by others on subsequent days.  Over the next
few weeks, the army moved against the protesters. They killed an estimated
three thousand demonstrators.  Thousands of others were jailed or fled into
exile -- some with ethnic insurgent armies along the jungle-clad Burmese
border with Thailand.

About 80 Burmese exiles -- many of them Buddhist monks and former students
-- marked Sunday's anniversary with a protest rally at the Burmese embassy
in Bangkok.  Half a dozen of the protesters slashed their arms with razor
blades and smeared blood on a poster.  The Bangkok rally broke up
peacefully.  Like many other Asians, Burmese have a keen interest in
numerology. Many of them are expecting some dramatic move by either the
ruling military council or by other opposition "National League for
Democracy" party on the ninth of next month -- the day the Burmese refer to
as nine-nine 99.

ALL BURMA STUDENTS' DEMOCRATIC FRONT: BURMESE FORCED TO REDUCE RICE PRICE

Burmese military authorities have told Burma's rice millers to reduce rice
prices to avoid popular unrest. Sources stated that the millers were also
warned to restrain their greed, as it can cause state instability. The
order comes amid calls for an uprising on 9 September.

The authorities have fixed the rice price at 120 kyats per basket
(approximately 2 kg), while the market price is 220 kyats. Prices of rice
and basic commodities increased from 160 kyats per basket at the end of
June to 220 kyats in July. Cooking oil prices are 710 kyats per viss (1.633
kg), up from 620 kyats last month. The rice selling price had already been
set at 120 kyats per basket in Rangoon's satellite towns, Shwe Pyi Tha,
Hlaing Thaya, Dagon Myo Thit (South and North), Dala, Thar Kay Ta and Thin
Gan Kyun, where low-wages workers reside.

Aung Thu Nyein, general secretary of the ABSDF, said, "The daily lives of
the people are very difficult and teachers, civil servants and soldiers
have only purchasing power for ten days. The people are finding it very
difficult to survive, especially with the higher electricity charges, basic
commodity prices and various taxes. The state is neglecting its
responsibility for social well-being. Some families in Rangoon even have to
feed themselves with adulterated, or "plastic" rice, imported from China.
The frustration of the people about the general situation could lead to
serious social unrest in Burma."

Observers estimate that approximately 100,000 construction workers from
Rangoon construction sites have lost their jobs because of last year's
economic recession. On 24 May 1999, 250 workers at the Daewoo light
commodities factory (a joint-venture between the Korean company Daewoo and
the Myanmar Heavy Industry Corporation) in Rangoon staged a non-cooperation
strike in the factory, demanding higher wages, appropriate working hours
and rights for workers. The workers also complained about unfair salaries
and the high prices of daily commodities and bus fares. Factory
authorities, in cooperation with SPDC officials, responded by firing all
the workers from their jobs, and arrested several leaders in order to
minimise any momentum for a workers' movement.

REUTERS: MYANMAR ALLOWS DIRECT DIALING, BUT AT A PRICE

YANGON, Aug 5 (Reuters) - Myanmar's military government said on Thursday it
would lift restrictions on international telephone calls but users would
pay a much higher rate for the service.

An official of the communications ministry said all telephones in the
country would now be allowed to dial international numbers directly. But
such calls would be billed in dollars or in dollar-denominated Foreign
Exchange Certificates (FECs) at a rate that works out at around 28 times
higher than the old system.

The official, who declined to be identified, said about 70,000 telephones
out of the nearly 100,000 in the capital Yangon could now make
international calls directly. The remaining telephones would be given this
facility when they had undergone technical modification, he said.

Under the new system, calls to Bangkok will be charged at $1.40 per minute,
compared to just kyat 17 (five U.S. cents) per minute previously charged by
operators. However, subscribers with existing direct dial telephones will
get a rate cut. They previously had to pay $2.69 per minute for calls to
Bangkok.

($1-347 kyat/one FEC-335 kyat)

NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR: U LINN MYAING APPOINTED AMBASSADOR TO FRANCE

YANGON, 5 Aug-The Chairman of the State Peace and Development Council of
the Union of Myanmar has appointed U Linn Myaing as Ambassador
Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Union of Myanmar to the Republic
of France.

XINHUA: MYANMAR, THAILAND, UNDCP TO MEET ON DRUG CONTROL

Myanmar, Thailand and the U.N. Drug Control Program (UNDCP) will hold a
cross-border meeting on drug abuse control in Ranong, a border town of
Thailand, on August 16-17, said a high-ranking Myanmar anti-drug official
Friday.

Colonel Thein Swe, head of the Office of Strategic Studies of the Myanmar
Defense Ministry, told a press conference here that the meeting is aimed at
promoting cooperation between Myanmar and Thailand in drug abuse control.

Myanmar and Thailand, involving the UNDCP, initiated an agreement in June
1992 on a joint project of integrated rural development, law enforcement
and drug demand reduction in Myanmar's Tachilek, Ahdec and Hsanlu areas,
and it was successfully implemented in the three-year period from 1993 to
1996.

In May this year, a delegation of the Thai Narcotics Control Board visited
Yangon and discussed with its Myanmar counterpart cooperation in the
control of precursor used in producing narcotic drugs and amphetamine
stimulant tablets.

THE BANGKOK POST: GEMS MAKE US RICH, SAY WA

Militia denies drugs fund its new town Micool Brooke

Under pressure from increased Thai army operations to stop drug smuggling,
a leader of a Burmese minority says diamonds, not narcotics, are his
group's main source of income.

But a Thai army commander said military intelligence indicates otherwise
and that his beefed-up forces along the border are determined to deny the
rugged area to drug gangs. Maj Sai Tong of the United Wa State Army, said
on Wednesday at Mong Yawn, opposite Chiang Mai, that his militia is not
involved in drugs.

Gen Surayud Chulanont, the army chief, said on Wednesday that Thailand was
unlikely to mount cross-border raids that could jeopardise relations.

"We are expecting more clashes with traffickers coming from the Golden
Triangle into Thailand," he said. "But I think they are no match for us.

"If they are Wa, they are not heavily armed and are not actually trained
for combat. They may be able to protect themselves and couriers from other
groups, but not from the Thai army."  Gen Surayud said the operation would
continue indefinitely. "We have to consolidate this area and let them know
this is the end of their drug-trafficking operations," he said.

On Wednesday, authorities closed the San Ton Du border checkpoint serving
Mong Yawn, which is developing rapidly from a village into a modern town.
Facilities being built, mostly by Thai contractors, include a hydroelectric
dam, a hospital, housing and roads.

Maj Sai Tong said the development was being funded by diamonds from a mine
in the area, and that the Wa militia had signed a five-year agreement with
the Burmese junta to co-operate in narcotics suppression.

The Wa signed a ceasefire with the military government several years ago
which allowed them a certain degree of autonomy.

The minority is accused by Thai authorities and the United States Drug
Enforcement Administration of being the main drug producer in the Golden
Triangle. From its stronghold in Shan State, the Wa militia is said by
authorities to be producing amphetamines destined for Thailand.

THE NATION: AUSTRALIA DEFENDS HUMAN RIGHTS VISIT TO RANGOON

SYDNEY - Australia's human rights commissioner yesterday defended his
recent visit to Burma, saying the military regime should be engaged in a
human rights dialogue after expressing interest in a national rights
watch-dog. On his return from a three-day visit to Burma, Chris Sidoti
acknowledged concerns that his visit could lend credibility to the military
regime, but added he was surprised by the extent of the government's
interest in establishing a human rights body.

"If the government of Myanmar [Burma] has expressed a wish, to do something
about protecting human rights, we should be willing to enter into dialogue
to see whether that is possible," Sidoti said.

The idea of a rights commission was first proposed by Australian Foreign
Minister Alexander Downer a year ago. Downer raised the issue again with
Burma's Foreign Minister Win Aung in Singapore last week, prompting
Sidoti's visit.

"Whether the [opposition] National League for Democracy likes it or not,
the simple fact is that the NLD is not presently in a position to do very
much at all about protecting the human rights' of the people of Burma,"
Sidoti said. "The government on the other hand, however illegitimate the
process by which it assumed power may be, is," he said. International human
rights groups say the Burmese military government has been guilty of
widespread human rights abuses, including mass arrests and torture, against
political opponents since seizing power in 1988 by crushing a pro-democracy
uprising.

Sidoti said he had been surprised by the expressions of support at several
meetings with senior Burmese government officials over setting up a
national human rights body. The proposed rights body is similar to those in
the seven-member Asian Pacific Forum, of National Human Rights
Institutions. Such a body was set up during former Indonesian president
Suharto's regime in the early 1990s.

"The Minister for Home Affairs Tin Hlaing in particular assured me that his
government was interested in pursuing this proposal," Sidoti said. "I was
surprised by the amount of interest he showed . . . I don't know what lies
behind it."

The Burmese government will send an observer to a meeting of the Asia-
Pacific Forum next month to meet members of other human rights commissions
in the region, Sidoti said. Burma was also interested in exploring possible
exchange and cooperation in human rights training for government officials
and the police, he said.

Sidoti did not request a meeting with opposition National League for
Democracy (NLD) leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who is under house arrest [sic Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi's movement is severely restricted, but she is not
technically under house arrest. - BurmaNet Editor], but met other
opposition figures. He said vice chairman of the NLD, Tin Oo expressed
misgivings about his mission and was skeptical the Burmese regime would
allow an independent human rights commission.