16/8/99:BURMA DRUG REPORT BY PROF.D (r)

Subject: Re: 16/8/99:BURMA DRUG REPORT BY PROF.DESMOND BALL

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999 OKKAR66129@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 8/16/99 11:25:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> heiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> << p 77, middle paragraph:
> "Khin Nyunt is also involved in the opium business. Some of the
> agreements with the ethnic groups reportedly allow them to produce opium
> in the areas under their control. The Thai Narcotics Control Board has
> reported that Khin Nyunt has made arrangements with certain opium
> warlords to smuggle heroin into Thailand 'without interception'; and he
> has provided protection to others, such as Khun Sa, who are wanted on
> heroin trafficking charges abroad."
>
> He can give even on this paragraph sources of information, printed at
> the end of the chapter.
>
> But realy, how can they personally maintain such a good life? In the
> Book "The Lady" by Barbara Victor, a general said himself, he earns only
> 50 Dollars per month. And I believe him. This is his real sellary from
> the nation cash box, but the drugs are much more lucrative. Even with
> their iron grip on the burmese economy, I cannot believe to maintain
> this kind of life without drug money.
>
> Regards
> Heiko >>
>
> The fact is  this professor seems to know nothing about Myanmar  and he
wrote
> only his opinion that is far away from the truth.
>
> ok

Prof. Ball, a national security expert, knows plenty about Burma.  ALL
readers interested in issues of security and of narcotics exports should
read his work.  It is of particular importance that he is writing from
Australia, where Burmese heroin overwhelmingly dominates the illegal drugs
marketplace.

To order his new paper,BURMA AND DRUGS: THE REGIME'S COMPLICITY IN THE
GLOBAL DRUG TRADE

> by Desmond Ball
>
> The paper presented by Desmond Ball at the Burma Discussion Forum
seminar
> in April has now been published as a SDSC Working Paper (WP336).

Publication Sales, Strategic and Defence Studies Centre, Australian