NEWS - Yawdserk-Thai Approach to Dr

Subject: NEWS - Yawdserk-Thai Approach to Drugs Ill-Advised

Yawdserk-Thai Approach to Drugs Ill-Advised

The Bow and Arrow Analogy
S.H.A.N.

The leader of the Shan Resistance force, upon inquiry, commented that
the present Thai solution to check the drug flow into Thailand via
cooperation with the Rangoon junta was an ill-considered one.

Yawdserk, Commander of the Shan States Army, asked by S.H.A.N. to
comment on Thai efforts to win Rangoon's cooperation against massive
influx of drugs, particularly amphetamines, said, "That's trying to
destroy a poison tree by pruning it and not uprooting it".

"The Was, (the main target of the Thais) are only an arrow. The bow is
Rangoon. You can break the arrow but not stop the shooting until the bow
is under your control".

Asked to elaborate, he said, "What I mean is: Lo Hsinghan (the first
kingpin) was arrested and jailed (in 1973). But Khun Sa took his place.
Efforts were then concentrated to bring Khun Sa down. As a result, he's
gone now only to be replaced by the Was. Does anyone guarantee that the
downfall of the Was shall end the drug problem and not bring another
druglord onto the scene instead?"

"What should be done is to stop the junta from violating the people and
waging a proxy war through drugs against Thailand", he said. "They
should help us non-Burmans win our right to determine our destiny and
the Burmans to win their democracy".

"That is what I mean by uprooting the problem and seizing the bow".

Yawdserk has been waging his own war on drugs in his operational areas
since last year.

The latest issue of his bulletin, SSArmy News, reported the seizure of a
heroin refinery in Mongton Township on 31 July.

Drug officials, however, say Yawdserk still has to go a long way to
prove himself.