SSA Denies Involvement in Border Ki

Subject: SSA Denies Involvement in Border Killing and Missing:

SSA Denies Involvement in Border Killing and Missing
The Shan States Army's spokesman categorically rejected a newspaper report
that
Shans were suspected of last week's ambush that resulted in a Thai officer
killed and another missing.

Maj. Orntern, the SSA's authorized spokesman, said yesterday, the Shans were
not involved in the ambush on Friday, 20 August in Pangmapha District,
Maehongson Province.

He also denied that the two persons arrested by Mr. Adul Nuipakdi, Assistant
District Officer of Pangmapha, the officer who went missing, had anything
to do
with the SSA. "We punish drug pushers here", he said. "We don't let them on
the
loose in the SSA".

The two men, Mok Mongtai and Jai Nong, were found to be in possession of 5,400
pills of amphetamines reported Bangkok Post, on its Saturday, 8 August issue.

S.H.A.N