Subject: Urge to contact Massachus

Subject: Subject:  Urge to contact Massachusettes Attorney General and sign

Amecus Brief
To: burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx

Honorable Christine O. Gregoire,
Attorney General of Washington
Office of the Attorney General
P.O. Box 40100
1125 Washington Street SE
Olympia, Washington 98504-0100

Dear Madam,
                        May I urge you to help defend Massachusetts
State' s sovereignty so that your State will continue to be able to
exercise its ability to defend and protect our rights and value.
My name is Saw Aung Khin and I am a native of Burma. I came to the United
States of America in 1977 and settled down here in Seattle with my family
ever since. I am a Licensed Practical Nurse by profession and I am also
an active member of Burma Action group.
On June 22, the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
struck down as unconstitutional  the Massachusettes Burma selective
purchasing law. The Law effectively barred companies that do
business with the Burmese Military Junta from receiving state procument
contract. On July 12, Massachusette Attorney General Tom Reilly announced
that he would appeal the case to the U.S. Supreme Court.
How Massachusette or any state spend its tax dollars is matter for the
citizens of Massachusettes and their elected officials. It is a violation
of state sovereignty and local democracy for the Federal Government or
corporation to try to micro-manage state or local spending.
Inspired by the campaign against apartheid in South Africa Nobel Peace
laureate Aung San Suu Kyi, leader of Burmese democracy movement, has
called for economic sanction on Burma to press the ruling Military Junta
to restore democracy in that country. She described  selective purchasing
law such as the one enacted in Massachusette, as an effective means of
supporting the Burmese democracy movement.
I therefore urge you to please contact the Massachusette Attorney General
to offer the support and
sign on to an Amica Brief in support of the Massachusette Burma Law that
will be filed with the U.S.
Supreme Court.
I look forward to your support on this very critical issue. Please let me
be informed of what action  have been taken.

                              Yours Sincerely.

                                                           ( SAW AUNG
KHIN )
E mail copy to:
1/  Simon Billeness, New England Burma Roundtable.
2/  Representative Byron Rushing, the COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTE
3/  Larry Dohrs, Seattle Burma Roundtable.