Response to statements made by Aust

Subject: Response to statements made by Australia29899

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BEF3DD.BEEA4A20

Response to statements made by Australia's Foreign Affair Minister =
Alexander Downer, concerning Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the formation of a =
human rights commission in Burma

Date:   29th August 1999

We understand and acknowledge Alexander Downer's proposal to form a =
Human Rights Commission in order to promote human rights in Burma. =
However, we feel that in setting up this Human Rights Commission it is =
essential that the advice and opinions of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the =
National League for Democracy be considered. Firstly, the National =
League for Democracy is the elected party of Burma. If the Australian =
Government wants to help in our country then it is wrong of them to try =
to do so without consulting the democratically elected government. The =
military junta has not been elected by the people, they do not recognize =
the elections of 1990, they have shown no inclination to move towards =
democracy.

The military, themselves, are the perpetrators of the human rights =
abuses that are occurring in Burma today, and it is our opinion that the =
only accurate information concerning the nature and extent of human =
rights abuses in Burma can be provided by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and other =
members of the National League for Democracy. For these reasons it is =
essential that if a human rights commission be set up in Burma, then it =
must consult with the National League for Democracy an its =
representatives.

With regard to Mr Downer saying that other policies - sanctions and =
constructive engagement - have failed in helping Burma, we would like to =
make the point that there have never been widespread economic sanctions =
imposed on Burma. Instead, many countries, like the Asian National and =
also Australia, have chosen and continue to choose to trade with Burma. =
It has been this continuing trade by a majority of countries that has =
ensured that sanctions have been ineffective. We believe that =
international communities have not put enough pressure on the Burmese =
military regime.

In our opinion, setting up a Human Rights Commission in Burma could do =
more harm than good because the junta could point to the 'good' they are =
doing, while actually doing nothing, as they have for 37 years. However, =
if Australia wants to help Burmese people, it is essential that the =
Human Rights Commission work closely with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi; this is =
what the Burmese people, at home and in exile, would want, because not =
only does she represent the people, but because she is in a position to =
provide true information relevant to the successful implementation of =
human rights programs.

We would like to request Mr Downer not to make comments like 'I don't =
need permission form Daw Aung Suu Kyi'; it shows a certain contempt for =
the Burmese people who elected her party, NLD, and it legitimizes the =
military dictatorship.

Executive Committee
National League for Democracy (liberated Area) Australia

Please Change to wwin_Burmese
-opa-w;vsEkdifiH EkdifiHjcm;a&0ef}uD; tv=B9ENm;a'gifemrS =
jrefrmEkdifiHtwGif;=20
vl=8BtcGifhta& apmifh-unfha&aumfr=B1Sif wnfaxmifvkdr+ udpPESifh =
ygwfouf+yD;=20
trsKd;om;'Drdkua&pDtzGJ=8CcsKyf (vGwfajrmufe,fajr) -opa-w;vs
oabmxm; xkwfjyefa-unmcsuf

=3Dopa=3Dw;vsEkdifiH EkdifiHjcm;a&0ef}uD; tv=B9ENm;a'gifemrS 13/ 8 99 =
&ufae=8Bu jrefrmEkdifiHtwGif; vl@tcGifhta& apmifh =3Dunfha&aumfr=B1Sif =
wnfaxmifvkdr_ udpPESifhygwfouf+yD; tusOf;uscH 'Drkdua&pDacgif;aqmif =
a':atmifqef;pk=3Dunf cGifh=F0ycsuf &,l p&mrvdka=3Dumif;ESifh =
vl=8BtcGifhta& apmif=3Dunfha&aumfr&Sifudk wnfaxmif&mwGif vuf&Sd =
tm%m&,lxm;aom ppftkyfpkESifh om wdkuf=B1dkuf yl;aygif;aqmif=B1GufoGm;rnf =
jzpfa=3Dumif; ajym=3Dum;cJhygonf?=20
trsKd;om;'Drdkua&pDtzGJ=8CcsKyf (vGwfajrmufe,fajr) =3Dopa=3Dw;vs =
taejzifh txufyg =3Dopa=3Dw;vsEkdifiH EkdifiHjcm;a& 0ef}uD; =
tv=B9ENm;a'gifemrS a=3Dunmcsufonf 1990 jynfhESpf jynfvHk;u|wf =
qENcH,lyJGrS jynfolvlxkw&yfvHk;u w&m;0if a=B1G;aumufwifajr=87mufxm;aom =
a':atmifqef;pk=3DunfESifh NLD tay: OyuQm=F0y ausmcdkif;vdkuf,HkwGifru =
jrefrmjynfwGif; jynfolvlxktm; rw&m; zdESdyfaeaom w&m;r0if ppftkyfpktm; =
w&m;0if todtrSwf=F0y&ma&mufaeygonf?=20
ppftkyfpk. vl=8BtcGifhta& csKd;azgufr_atmufY jynfolvlxkw&yfvHk;u =
wifajr=87mufxm;aom jynfolvGwfawmf udk,f pm;vS,frsm; jynfolvlxk 82 =
&mcdkifE_ef;ausmfrS rJay;jcif;cHxm;&aom NLD ygwDrS ygwD0ifrsm; =
EdkifiHa&acgif;aqmifrsm;/ ausmif; om;acgif;aqmifrsm;/ &[ef;oHCmrsm;/ =
tvkyform;rsm;/ v,form;rsm;ESifh vlxkvlwef;pm; tv$mtoD;oD;wdk=8Bonf =
vl=8BtcGifhta& csKd;azgufcHae&+yD; vuf&SdppftkyfpkrS rw&m;zrf;qD; =
csKyfaESmifr_rsm; cHaeqJjzpfygonf?
txufyg tajctaersm;udk rodusKd;u|ef=F0yv#uf w&m;r0if ppftkyfpkESifh =
yl;aygif;I =3Dopa=3Dw;vsEdkifiHrS vltcGifhta& apmifh=3Dunfha&tzGJ=8C =
jrefrmjynfwGif;Y wnfaxmifvdkjcif;onf vltcGif;ta& csKd;azgufcHae&aom =
jrefrmjynfolvlxktwGuf udk,fpm;=F0yrSm r[kwfa=3Dumif;ESifh =
w&m;r0ifppftkyfpk oufqdk;&Snfa&twGuf ulnDaxmufyHhr_ =
twGufomjzpfa=3Dumif; jrefrmEdkifiH 'Drdkua&pDv_yf&Sm;r_ tcuftcJ=3Dum;rS =
wdkufyGJ0ifaepOftwGif; =3Dopa=3Dw;vsEdkifiHtaejzifh vl=8BtcGifhta&udk =
ta=3Dumif;jyI ppf tkyfpkESifh yl;aygif;aqmif=B1Gufjcif;udk jyifxefpGm =
uef=8BuGuf=B1_Hcsa=3Dumif; xkwfjyefa=3Dunmvdkufonf?

A[dkaumfrwD
trsKd;om;'Drdkua&pDtzGJ=8CcsKyf (vGwfajrmufe,fajr) =3Dopa=3Dw;vs
&ufpGJ? ? 27/ 8/ 99

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BEF3DD.BEEA4A20

xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40";>

Date:=A0=A0=A0 29th August = 1999

[...]

With regard to Mr Downer saying that other policies =96 sanctions and =
constructive engagement =96 have failed in helping Burma, we would like to
[...]

trsKd;om;'Drdkua&amp=
;pDtzGJ=8CcsKyf (vGwfajrmufe,fajr) -opa-w;vs

oabmxm; = xkwfjyefa-unmcsuf

=3Dopa=3Dw;vsEkdifi= H EkdifiHjcm;a&0ef}uD; tv=B9ENm;a'gifemrS 13/ 8 99
&ufae=8Bu jrefrmEkdifiHtwGif; vl@tcGifhta& apmifh =3Dunfha&aumfr=B1Sif
wnfaxmifvkdr_ udpPESifhygwfouf+yD; tusOf;uscH 'Drkdua&pDacgif;aqmif
a':atmifqef;pk=3Dunf cGifh=F0ycsuf &,l p&mrvdka=3Dumif;ESifh vl=8BtcGifhta&
apmif=3Dunfha&aumfr&Sifudk = wnfaxmif&mwGif vuf&Sd tm%m&,lxm;aom
ppftkyfpkESifh
om wdkuf=B1dkuf yl;aygif;aqmif=B1GufoGm;rnf jzpfa=3Dumif;
ajym=3Dum;cJhygonf? =

trsKd;om;'Drdkua&am=
p;pDtzGJ=8CcsKyf (vGwfajrmufe,fajr) =3Dopa=3Dw;vs taejzifh txufyg
[...]

=

trsKd;om;'Drdkua&pDtzGJ=8CcsKyf = (vGwfajrmufe,fajr) =3Dopa=3Dw;vs

&ufpGJ?=A0=A0 = ? 27/ 8/ 99

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BEF3DD.BEEA4A20--