The BurmaNet News: September 23, 19 (r)

Subject: The BurmaNet News: September 23, 1999

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
 Catch the latest news on Burma at www.burmanet.org

The BurmaNet News: September 23, 1999
Issue #1364

Noted in Passing: "What's next, jailing a tourist for carrying a Far Eastern
Economic Review?" - Larry Dohrs (SEE SCMP: BRITONS' PROTEST "POLITICAL
TOURISM"

HEADLINES:
==========
DASSK: MESSAGE TO AUSTRALIAN PARLIAMENT
SCMP: BRITONS' PROTEST "POLITICAL TOURISM"
BKK POST: VISAS RESUME
BKK POST: SHOW HIGHLIGHTS BURMESE TOURISM
ANNOUNCEMENT: MASSACHUSETTS BURMA LAW SYMPOSIUM

DAW AUNG SAN SUU KYI: MESSAGE TO AUSTRALIAN PARLIAMENT

Message to the Australian Parliament by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
Leader of the National League for Democracy and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate

Produced by Australia Burma Council, Altsean and Images-Asia

Australia has a unique position in the world. It is a Western democracy that
is situated geographically in Asia. For this reason we think that it has a
special role to play.

I would first like to thank all Australian Parliamentarians who have
supported the movement for democracy in Burma. Many of them have sent me
personal messages of support and I was truly touched by their concern for me
and for the rest of my co-workers for democracy in Burma.

We are confident that the people of Australia and Members of the Australian
Parliament understand the importance of democracy and we understand very
well that they want to do everything to support us. Sometimes we are a
little concerned that the policies of the Australian Government may not be
such that would hasten the process of democratisation in Burma. We
understand that it is important for the Government of Australia to remain on
good terms with neighboring Asian countries. However, we would not like such
considerations to, in any way, dilute the commitment to democracy that we
know is very much part of the Australian Psyche.

The National League for Democracy and other democratic forces in Burma have
been concerned by the recent visit of the Australian Commissioner for Human
Rights, Mr Chris Sidoti, to Burma. We are worried that this visit might give
off the wrong signals. The National League for Democracy has issued a
statement spelling out in detail our observations on Mr Chris Sidoti's
visit. We know that the Government of Australia, Mr Chris Sidoti himself and
the Australian people only mean well towards us and we do not doubt that it
was thought that this visit would, in some way, help the situation of human
rights in Burma. But as our Deputy Chairman, U Tin Oo, explained to Mr
Sidoti himself, we think that the timing of this visit is wrong and that it
was ill advised. At this time when the military authorities are at their
most oppressive, the visit could be misconstrued. It could be seen as an
endorsement of their policies, it could in fact, be seen as a tacit approval
of what they are doing to the democratic forces in Burma. Such a
misinterpretation could hurt us very badly. I am sure that the Members of
the Australian Parliament and the people of Australia do not wish that
anything should be done to hurt the movement for democracy in Burma.

For this reason we would like to appeal to you to consider carefully all
contacts made with the military authorities in this country. Contacts which
could be construed as approval or support of the present policies of the
military regime could be very harmful to the movement for democracy.
Contacts which are clearly made and made in such a way that there can be
no ambiguities with the intention of promoting the cause for democracy,
these we do not object to.

As the world is proceeding toward the 21st century we would like to think
that the democratisation process of Burma also, is speeding up. To that end
we have been working very hard over the last 18 months. We called for the
parliament elected in 1990 to be convened because it was high time that the
people's voice was heard in Burma and in the world. Instead of responding to
our call for convening a parliament in a civilised, humane way the
authorities chose to increase their oppression, to arrest and detain members
of parliament elected in 1990 and also to try to destroy the National League
for Democracy. They will not succeed in destroying the National League for
Democracy because ours is not just a political party. Ours is a
representative of the desire of the people of Burma for democracy. As long
as the people of Burma want democracy the National League for Democracy will
remain alive and we have no doubt what so ever that the desire of the people
of Burma for democracy will not wane what so ever.

We would like to call upon the Members of the Australian Parliament to
support strongly, the Committee Representing Parliament, which was set up
last year when the authorities refused to convene parliament. This Committee
is acting on behalf of the democratically elected parliament of Burma until
such a time as it can convene officially. We are simply carrying out our
duties in accordance with the mandate given to us by more than 54% of the
elected members of parliament. We will carry on with our duties until such
time as the official parliament can convene and then it will be time for the
Committee Representing Parliament to be dissolved.

We are confident that the time is not long before democracy comes to Burma.
We are confident that we shall achieve democracy primarily because of the
strong desire of the people of Burma for democracy. However, we do not in
any way, underestimate the importance of the help of our allies all over the
world. For this reason we call upon the Parliament of Australia, the people
of Australia and the Government of Australia to support us in our movement
for democracy.

We have always believed that peace in the world is only possible if there is
peace in the individual countries of the world. By bringing democracy to
Burma we shall be bringing peace to our country, and thus, we shall be
contributing to the peace in our region and to the world.

In the name of peace, in the name of human rights and in the name of common
decency we would like to call upon all our allies to give us the strongest
support at this time when we are in need of support to speed up the process
of democratisation.

Once again let me thank all of you for the consistent support that you have
shown toward us and to voice the hope that the time will not be long when we
can join hands together as democratic countries to promote the cause of
human rights all over the world.

Thank you.

SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST: BRITONS' PROTEST "POLITICAL TOURISM"
22 September, 1999 by William Barnes

Two young Britons' attempts to highlight repression in Burma by daring acts
of open defiance have been described as naive, silly, dangerous and even
boring by some diplomats in the region.

The most barbed critic described their protests as "political tourism" that
deflected attention from the oppression of ordinary Burmese.

The bold in-country protests may also have split critics of the regime who
appear divided over the merits of such moves.

Rachel Goldwyn, 28, was sentenced by a Burmese court last week to seven
years of "rigorous imprisonment" after chaining herself to a lamppost and
singing a protest song in the capital.

James Mawdsley, 26, with dual British-Australian nationality, was given 17
years last month for posting democracy leaflets up in a northern border
town.

His sentence was stiffer because he had been jailed twice before for similar
stunts.

Even sympathetic envoys said such acts could put Western governments in the
awkward position of having to ask the regime for "favours" - reducing their
potential leverage over "real" issues.

Other critics of the regime, including members of the Burmese opposition,
praised the British pair's ideals.

But many did not warm to the idea that Goldwyn and Mawdsley may have set a
fashion for risky in-country protests.

"It's become a soap opera," John Jackson, of the Burma Action Group in
Britain, said. "The stories shouldn't be about Rachel and James," he told
London's Sunday Times.

The real focus of international outrage should be the 500 Burmese who have
been arrested in recent weeks, he said.

Amanda Zappia, of the Australia Burma Council, said the danger was "most
certainly" that diplomatic energy would be used up trying to get Western
protesters released at the expense of other initiatives.

"For example, it is common for diplomats to have joint actions in response
to renewed repression or violent acts, which have evoked international
attention.

"Diplomats could be very cautious about attacking the military for fear this
could foil attempts to have their nationals released," she said.

Ms Zappia hoped that no opposition group had encouraged the duo to go in.

A veteran Washington-based American activist said Goldwyn and Mawdsley's
protests were useful.

He complained that although "the same murderous thugs" were in power as in
1962, 1975 and 1988 - times of violently repressed protests - "the news
media have the attention span of a three-year-old on speed".

The activist argued that such selfless moves helped puncture the complacency
of privileged Westerners where other critics - worn down by years of
apathy - could not achieve this.

"That they risk - or sacrifice - what is so important has an impact on
others for whom privilege and freedom are taken for granted."

He added: "Indians who non-violently lined up to be beaten down by British
colonial troops in Gandhi's salt march" two generations ago similarly
brought attention to problems in the darker edges of the world's conscience.

Buddhist monks in Vietnam who would immolate themselves to protest against
events in their country a generation ago also focused world attention on
what the world would rather ignore, he said.

Both Goldwyn and Mawdsley have said they were inspired to act after stints
teaching in refugee camps on the Thai-Burmese border, where they learnt
first hand of the sufferings of ordinary Burmese.

Observers say Mawdsley must have expected a stiff sentence after being
released with sharp warnings previously.

Goldwyn is reported to have been visibly shocked at her sentence. She may
have anticipated being as quickly ejected as the 18 Western and Asian
activists who got received five-year sentences for handing out pro-democracy
cards around Rangoon year ago, and were deported.

The increasingly harsh sentences being handed out - for what in most
countries would be quite innocuous behaviour - were revealing, said several
observers.

"What's next, jailing a tourist for carrying a Far Eastern Economic Review?
Arresting someone for humming We Shall Overcome as they bike between temples
in Pagan?" asked Seattle-based activist Larry Dohrs.

One US-based campaigner had this warning for others wishing to emulate
Goldwyn and Mawdsley: "Anyone going into Burma for this should be aware that
it is a sacrifice that may last for years and that their families and
friends will suffer as well. Without, I should add, a choice in whether or
not to make the sacrifice."

THE BANGKOK POST: VISAS RESUME

The Burmese embassy has resumed issuing visas to foreign independent
travelers, after a halt of nearly three weeks on fears that activists from
abroad were trying to instigate unrest inside the country.

The ban from Sept 2 was apparently motivated by fears that foreign activists
or journalists posing as tourists would try to sneak into the country ahead
of Sept 9 - the "9-9-99" day had been touted by exiled dissidents as an
auspicious day for a popular uprising against military rule. - AP

THE BANGKOK POST: SHOW HIGHLIGHTS BURMESE TOURISM

The second Myanmar Travel Show will be held on September 27-28 at the
Baiyoke Sky Hotel in Bangkok.

The show, organized by Burma's Ministry of Hotels and Tourism in
Collaboration with the Tourism Authority of Thailand, the Baiyoke Group of
Hotels Agents, features cultural shows, seminars and round-table
discussions. All together 28 travel agencies, 10 hotels and Yangon Airways
will join the event.

Participants will offer special discounted packages and rates with bookings
on the spot. As well, the show provides information on border tourism and
attractions around Burma.

Admission is free to the public from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on September 28. For
information call 653-9919.

The Baiyoke Sky Hotel will also stage the Myanmar Food Festival at the
Bangkok Sky Restaurant on the 78th floor on Monday and Tuesday, with a
troupe of Burmese dancers.

ANNOUNCEMENT: MASSACHUSETTS BURMA LAW SYMPOSIUM

STATES' RIGHTS V. INTERNATIONAL TRADE: THE MASSACHUSETTS BURMA LAW

7:00 pm to 9:00 pm, Wednesday, October 13, 1999

The Stimson Room
The Association of the Bar of the City of New York
42 West 44th Street, New York City (between 5th and 6th Avenues)

In recent years, a number of state and local governments have passed laws
restricting trade with countries whose policies they disapprove of or
deplore. One such measure, the Massachusetts "Burma Law," restricts state
purchases from companies doing business in Burma (now known as Myanmar)
because of alleged human rights abuses. After being held unconstitutional by
a federal appeals court, the law is now poised for review by the Supreme
Court.

The case raises important issues under federal and international law. May
states and localities pass laws impinging upon foreign commerce and
obligations under international trade agreements? If the case is reversed
and the law upheld, what will be the implications for the World Trade
Organization?

CO-SPONSORS:
Committee on International Trade, Association of the Bar of the City of New
York, and The Customs and International Trade Bar Association

MODERATOR:
Sydney M. Cone, III
C.V. Starr Professor of Law and Director, Center for International Law, New
York Law School

FACULTY:
Thomas A. Barnico
Assistant Attorney General, Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Paul R. Dubinsky
Associate Professor of Law, New York Law School

Peter J. Spiro
Associate Professor of Law, Hofstra University Law School

Joel P. Trachtman
Professor of International Law, Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts
University

THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR ADMISSION. SEATING IS LIMITED. TO RSVP, CONTACT
MICHAEL RHEE AT (212) 431-2865 OR SEND AN E-MAIL TO: mrhee@xxxxxxxx

INCLUDE YOUR NAME, AFFILIATION, AND TELEPHONE NUMBER.

For more information on the panelists, visit the Center for International
Law's website at: http://www.nyls.edu/CIL/ and
click on the UPCOMING EVENTS section.