BACK TO THE PAST-TODAY:

BACK TO THE PAST-TODAY

SHANS OFFER COOPERATION TO STOP DRUG TRADE
2 September 1971. Hsengsuk, President of the Shan State Progress Party,
wrote to
Richard Nixon, the President of the United States, offering "our services and
all the Resistances Forces under our command to combat this menace. We shall
co-operate to the fullest to control the illegal traffic in opium and its
derivatives and we are wholly in agreement that it should be attacked at the
source in our country".

President Nixon declared War on drugs three months earlier, on 17 June.

Note:   Hsengsuk a.k.a Sengsuk a.k.a Khun Kya Nu is, at present, together with
the SSPP's ex-General Secretary, Chao Tzang Yawnghwe, advises the Shan
Democratic Union, the organization set up by Shan expatriates under the
presidency of Sao Hsohom Mongpawn.