statment of ABYMU

concerning widespread anti-Muslim pamphlets inside Burma<br>
31&nbsp; August&nbsp; 1999<br>
1. The military regime's undercover agents have alleged that anti-Muslim
panphlets, which had been distributed since December, 1998 were printed
and spread by the All Burma Young Monks' Union (ABYMU). This is
completely wrong.<br>
2. We, the ABYMU, want to mention that we don't accept the responsibility
of creating the religious conflict.<br>
3. When we learned of these anti-Muslim pamphlets, we saw that the facts
in these pamphlets were only carried out by the regime because:<br>
colour.<br>
registered mark aren't expressed.<br>
distribution.<br>
ordinary civilians.<br>
4. During the widespread distribution of these pamphlets, communal riots
were agitated in Myinggyan, Myinmu, Myanaung and Tarmwe(Rangoon).<br>
5. Before this situation, we had already announced that we had ceased the
accelerated monks' action, called Dayae(Deer) movement.<br>
6. We strongly believe that these inferior and rude deeds of the regime
intend to dissuade&nbsp; the monks' movement and 9999-action for
democracy and human rights.<br>
7. Like this conspiracy, the regime also instigated communal riots such
as the Chinese-Burmese riots to dissuade the workers Movement in 1967,
and instigated the religious conflicts to dissuade 8888-movement in 1988
and the religious conflicts to dissuade the Mahamyatmuni affair in
1997.<br>
8. So we would to urge the people to carefully restrain the communal
riots and to unite and focus upon the dissolution of the military
dictatorship and to aspire for the democracy movement in Burma.<br>
Central Committee<br>
All Burma Young Monks' Union<br>
This is Burmese Font<br>
<BR>