Panic-Stricken Order By the Junta F

Subject: Panic-Stricken Order By the Junta For the Four 9's:

9. 9. 99

Panic-Stricken Order By the Junta For the Four 9's

A strange order by the local authorities had compelled him and his family to
seek refuge in Thailand, said a Shan from Taunggyi, the capital of Shan State.

"On the 1st of September, Taunggyi authorities issued an order that every
available household member must stay in front of one's house for the inspectors
to see, once disturbances break out", he told S.H.A.N.

"It was bearable for those who live in the side streets within fences", he
said. "However, for those of us who live on the main road with no fences, it is
a different matter. The only place we can display ourselves for the authorities
to see is right on the road. And who is going to prevent us from being accused
of demonstrating against them ?"

"It was the last straw for me, so I took my family to Maesai (Chiangrai
Province, Thailand, across from, Tachilek, Shan State) to stay here until
things quiet down. Luckily for us, we have friends here who welcome our stay".

Asked by S.H.A.N. about his high school children, he replied, "Their school was
not closed yet when we left Taunggyi, 3 days ago, although it was already
announced before the end of August that the order might come on short notice".

"Teachers were instructed to form their students into sections of ten. The
leader of each section is to be held accountable for any offense made by a
member. My son happened to be a section leader and he was worried he might not
be able to manage his members and end up in jail as a result. So I took him
here also".

For further information, please contact S.H.A.N. at:
Shan Herald Agency for News, P.O. Box. 15, Nonghoi P.O., 50007, Chiangmai,
Thailand.
Ph/Fax: (053) 807 121.
e-mail: <shan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

S.H.A.N. is a non-profit making, independent Shan media group. It is not
affiliated to any political or armed organizations.