PA -Fears Growing Over Arrested Bri

Subject: PA -Fears Growing Over Arrested Briton

Press Association
Thursday September 9, 1:04 PM

Fears Growing Over Arrested Briton
Concern is growing for the welfare of a British woman who has not been seen
since she was arrested by military police in Burma on Tuesday.
British consular officials have been trying without success to gain access
to 28-year-old Rachel Goldwyn, held for singing a revolutionary song at a
pro-democracy demonstration in the capital, Rangoon.

Burmese officials have denied access to British consular staff for more than
48 hours on the grounds that she is still being investigated, Stephen Jakobi
of the Fair Trials Abroad Trust said.

The director of the legal rights group said it was unlikely officials would
be allowed to see her until Friday.

"This is a cause for great concern. It is against international law. The
Burmese authorities said she is under investigation which does not reassure
anyone."

Ms Goldwyn, from Barnes, south west London, sang the song We Will Never
Forget and demanded civil rights for the country in front of a crowd of 300
students.

Dr Charmian Goldwyn, a GP, said she and her TV producer husband Ed, who live
in Barnes, were desperately worried for Rachel.

She said the family had no idea she was in Burma.

"It was a big shock and I was desperate when I first heard," she added.

Ms Goldwyn, who attended Godolphin School in Hammersmith, west London,
graduated from the London School of Economics and became interested in the
Burmese pro-democracy movement while working in a refugee camp in Thailand
two years ago.