The Arizona Republic

</i>Like me, no doubt you were heartbroken to discover 9/9/99 didn't
cause worldwide Armageddon. Call me an optimist, but I was rooting for a
few errant nuclear warheads, a total telephonic meltdown at US West, or,
at the very least, a blackout of all the 1999 Arizona Cardinals road
games. <br>
No such luck. The sole 9/9/99-themed ray of light all Thursday came from
Canberra, Australia. There, about 50 rioters -- hoping to reprise the
famous Burmese uprising of 8/8/88 -- stormed Myanmar's embassy. Sadly,
the protest was put down immediately by MPs shielded by surplus copies of
Speaking of horror stories, the 9/9/99 fizzle leaves us with a last shot
at universal chaos: the big enchilada, Y2K itself. <br>
Personally, having listened to predictions of doom for months, I'm
looking forward to 1/1/00, though clearly not as much as Jim Lord, author
How're they ringing in New Year's over at Jimbo's? <br>
&quot;There are National Guard troops at every corner and you can hear
sirens all over town,&quot; he writes. &quot;There is smoke in the
distance and that noise sounds like gunfire. Even the traffic lights are
on the blink. Has everyone gone crazy? <br>
&quot;No -- just the computers. It's Y2K, the 'Millennium Time
Bomb.'&quot; <br>
computer-free world wouldn't be all bad, is what I'm saying. <br>
First off, there'd be no Internet. I know it's become an important facet
of the culture, because it gives you a chance to access nude photos of
Pamela Anderson Lee morning, noon and night, but I'm about surfed out.
Better yet, no Net means no more e-mail. Man, how I long for the days
when people had to commit stupid thoughts to paper, then spend actual
money to mail them to you. Now, I spend an hour a day writing back to
guys named SpankMe-DoodleDandy and HezDaLuv-Bomb, who always want to know
why &quot;ur colum sux so much?&quot; <br>
Tuf 2 say, u know? Maybe cuz I'm so dum? <br>
Communication improvements aside, Y2K also sounds like a real money
saver, if some items on the <i>New York Times</i> checklist of potential
disasters actually come true. <br>
&quot;Your telephone service is terminated because of errors in date
calculations.&quot; Cha-ching, I'm a hundred bucks to the good. Come on,
Mom, what do you mean you didn't get the e-mail? <br>
&quot;Your department store rejects your credit card because your payment
is 100 years overdue.&quot; No. 1, that's an improvement, because most of
my payments are 105 years overdue. No. 2, I looked fat in the bright
orange Tommy Hilfiger tank top anyway. <br>
&quot;Your bank's automated teller swallows your card, thinking it has
expired.&quot; And I hope it chokes, along with the bank manager who
invented the $3 fee for &quot;foreign ATM transactions.&quot; <br>
days to catch those college football bowl games that now last until
February? There's a chance, albeit slim: <br>
&quot;Building security systems fail,&quot; reads <i>Times'</i>
possibility No. 13, &quot;refusing to read coded cards or keys.&quot;
Hey, you were there, you swiped the card, the door didn't open. What are
they going to do, call you at home? <br>
The phone's dead, remember? <br>
So there you are, alone at last, with a pocketful of cash and plenty of
leisure time on your hands. You, my friend, can watch live repeats of
Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Doomsday Eve. <br>
&quot;Your home VCR fails to record a show because it mistakes the
year.&quot; <br>
Not at my house it won't, bucko. Maybe 9/9/99 turned out to be a hoax,
but I'm still busy writing the <i>David Leibowitz Survival Guide to
Y2K</i>. Page 1: <br>
&quot;Turn up the volume on the TV. That should drown out the sirens and
the National Guard gunfire.&quot; <br>
<b><div align="center">
* * *<br>
<BR>