Relief over first visit to arrested

Subject: Relief over first visit to arrested son - Consul to be given  jail access by Burmese officials

given jail access by Burmese officials <br>
THE family of a British man jailed in Burma for his pro-democracy views
have welcomed news that British authorities will be allowed to see him.
This will be the first visit that James Mawdsley, 26, has been allowed
since he was arrested in Burma on September 1. <br>
Yesterday The Journal reported the increasing anxiety felt by his mother
Diana, of Brancepeth, Durham City, over her son's safety. <br>
On hearing the news that the British Consul had been given permission to
visit him, she said: &quot;I welcome the development, but we still do not
know what they are doing to him or what is going on. <br>
&quot;I will be applying for a visa and intend flying out to see James as
soon as I can.&quot; <br>
The breakthrough with the Burmese authorities came after Foreign Office
Minister Baroness Scotland summoned the Burmese ambassador Dr Kyaw Win
for a meeting on Thursday. <br>
The Baroness made &quot;strong representations&quot;, demanding access to
see Mr Mawdsley and another Briton, Rachel Goldwyn, 28, of Barnes,
south-west London, who was arrested earlier this week in the capital
Rangoon after singing a pro-democracy song. <br>
A Foreign Officer spokesman said: &quot;We will be allowed access to
James along with the Australian consul (Mrs Mawdsley is Australian).
&quot;This will take place either early or in the middle of next week. He
is being held in the Keng Tung prison which is a one-day journey from
Rangoon. <br>
&quot;We will want to see what treatment he has received. We will take
him some essential goods. We will want to ask the authorities why he was
convicted so quickly and we will be notifying them of our intention to
appeal.&quot; <br>
James was sentenced to 17 years' imprisonment after being arrested near
the border with Thailand, for illegally entering the country and
possessing anti-government literature. <br>
Since his summary trial he has been refused visits from British consular
staff in Burma, in direct contravention of the Vienna Convention. <br>
This is the third time that Mr Mawdsley, a former pupil of Hexham's Queen
Elizabeth sixth form, has been arrested in Burma for his support of the
pro-democracy movement.<br>
Posted by: <b>ShweInc NEWs<br>
<BR>