SCMP-Burmese golfing high-flier has

Subject: SCMP-Burmese golfing high-flier has other priorities

South China Morning Post
Monday, September 13, 1999

Burmese golfing high-flier has other priorities

ALVIN SALLAY

A week ago, Hong Kong-based golf professional Kyi Hla Han finished second at
the Taiwan Open. He pocketed US$33,000, a purse which boosted him to the top
of the Asian PGA Order of Merit rankings.
Instead of staying to celebrate with his fellow-professionals - and he had a
good reason to paint Taipei red as it was the first time in his career that
he was at the top of a ranking list - Han took the first flight back home to
Hong Kong.

The reason: because his daughters Natasha and Kaitlin and wife Marlene were
waiting for him.

"In the past I would have partied. I was on the road all the time going from
one tournament to another. But now everything has changed and I'm thankful
for that," Han says.

Born in Burma, Han has lived in Hong Kong for the past six years. He says he
is fortunate to be based here.

"Hong Kong is a hub. It is so central that after any tournament, I can
return home. There is always a flight to Hong Kong from anywhere in Asia. I
now make it a point to catch the first available flight to Hong Kong on a
Sunday night," he says.

"I'm the lucky one. When I look at some of my fellow-professionals,
especially those from Europe, South Africa, the United States or Australia,
and see how they have to live apart from the families and loved ones for
weeks at a time, I realise how fortunate I am."

Although the 38-year-old Han has been playing the pro-circuit for the past
20 years, 1999 is the first year that he has gone full-time on the Asian
PGA.

"I wanted to give it a shot. Luckily I have been playing consistently . . .
the best I have ever done in my career," he says.

He puts it all down to a change in his mental attitude to the game and his
close and happy links with his family.

"I used to read a lot about sports psychology but never practised it until
now. I have realised that like you have to practice your swing, you also
have to practice the mental side of your game. I'm thinking more about
winning now. In the past I just played for the sake of it," he says.

"I'm now more calm and patient. Last week I did not play the second round
well. In the past I would have become frustrated and blown it all away. But
I just bided my time. The next day I was back in the swing."

Han carded an aggregate of 275 to finish one stroke behind South Korea's
Kang Wook-soon.

So far this year, Han has played 12 tournaments, won one (the Volvo China
Open in May), finished second in two more and ended in the top 14 in five
other events. He has won US$155,000 in prize money. This is $30,000 more
than his closest rival on the Order of Merit, American Jerry Norquist.

"Obviously my goal is to top the Order of Merit at the end of the year.
There are about eight or nine events left. My chances are looking good at
this stage. If I continue to play solidly, I think I should be able to do
it," says Han.

If he does achieve this goal, it will open doors for him elsewhere for
normally the winner of the Asian PGA Order of Merit is invited to the
British Open.

"I would get an invite to play in the British Open and another six to eight
events in Europe, South Africa, Australia and possibly the United States,"
he says.

"But my immediate ambition is to finish on top of the Order of Merit as it
will do my confidence a huge good."

Tomorrow, Han will leave for South Korea to take part in the Korea Open.

"On average I play two or maybe three tournaments a month. I don't play any
more as I know it won't do my concentration any good. I would also miss my
family a lot," he says.

"I have explained to my daughters about my job. I call them every night when
I'm on the road. They come and pick me up at the airport on Sunday nights.
It is nice to return home. When I see them, everything I do is worth it,"
added Han.