Salween river dam project (r)

Then we must harass Oregon University and all those involved.

In a message dated 9/15/99 6:36:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
GreenHeaven@xxxxxx writes:

<< Subj:     Salween river dam project
 Date:  9/15/99 6:36:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time
 From:  GreenHeaven@xxxxxx (Kris B.Flasar)
 Sender:    owner-burmanet-l@xxxxxxx
 To:    webteam@xxxxxxxxx
 CC:    burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx

 Dear Sirs,

 I learnt that the Asian Institute of Technology, in co-operation with Oregon
 University, asked representatives of the Burmese military regime and various
 business groups to discuss ways of damming Burma's Salween river.

 I am  deeply concerned about the plans of damming the Salween river. I think
 this
 will be another project of hardcore exploitation of the nature and
 particularly of
 marvelous people living along a marvelous stream.

 It seems, that the organisers deliberately excluded members of the Burmese
 opposition and ethnic groups from this week's Chiang Mai meeting to avoid
 upsetting
 Rangoon.

 The conference legitimises and encourages controversial proposals to inflict
 potentially massive disruption on communities which will have no veto over
 development.

 Therefore I urgently ask you that all future talks over the exploitation of
 the Salween
 river must recognise the right of local people to take part in any
 negotiations.

 Kris B. Flasar