David Steinberg and Win Aung at Asi (r)

Subject: Re: David Steinberg and Win Aung at Asia Society

--------------4EEA05FE721ADF11DB67EDBD

Re: David Steinberg:

As far as I am concerned, Mr. Steinberg is just another "opportunist" with nothing else better to do. He has capitalized rather well on his meager and (now) outdated knowledge of Burma and the Burmese people. Enough is enough.

Richard A. Myint.

Indiana wrote:

> Htun A. Gyaw wrote:
> >
> > Dear Friends,
> > Burmese Foreign Minister Win Aung will give a speech in Asia Society
> > Foundation on Sep 24. The ticket for non member is 10 dollars. We will
> > demonstrate infront of the Building. Please join us and if you want to
> > question to Win Aung you have to make a reservation asap. See you there.
> > Here is the infro:
> >
> > Htun Aung Gyaw
> > President
> > Civil Society for Burma
> >
> > Asia Society and The Sasakawa Foundation
> > Present
> >
> > Myanmar in the Next Millennium
> >
> > A Speech by His Excellency U Win Aung, Minister for Foreign Affairs of the
> > Union of Myanmar
> > with Respondent: Mr. David I. Steinberg, Director, Asian Studies, Georgetown
> > University School of Foreign Service
> >
> > Friday, September 24, 1999. 8:00 - 9:30am
> > Asian Society, 725 Park Avenue at 70th Street. NYC
> > Breakfast will be served
> > Fee: $7 for member, $10 for nonmember
> >
> > Tel for Credit card only 212 327 9276 (M-F 11am to 5pm)
> > Fax 212 452 1422
>
> More on this subject:
>
> David Steinberg, who will serve as the Asia Society's sympathetic host for SPDC's Win Aung, is the head of the Asia Studies Department at Georgetown University in Washington, DC.  Georgetown is the pre-eminent American university for students seeking political and diplomatic careers in the US Government.
>
> Steinberg is a totally committed apologist for the Burmese dictatorship, and makes a public show of it (see his AWSJ article, with my comments, which follows).
>
> It is a disgrace and an outrage that someone so lacking in morality (I cannot say intellect) should have such an influential position in the training of US diplomats and government officials.  Is Washington so cynical and sycophantic these days that there is no one to raise an objection to this situation?
>
> Why does the State department publicly condemn the junta on the one hand, and privately promote it on the other?  Does it believe that the American people are too stupid to see what is going on? (are they?)  Or is the State Department itself so confused that the right hand doesnt know what the left is doing?
>
> Why is Albright being undermined?  Is it Clinton's doing, or her own leadership weaknesses?  Who are the people encouraging Steinberg and his ilk, and just who (corporations?) is paying them?  I suppose they can do whatever they like now in Washington, since lame duck Clinton will soon be out, and anyway, his moral authority is already gone.
>
> What a disheartening display from the world superpower and defender of democracy!

> [...]

begin:          vcard
fn:             Richard Myint
n:              Myint;Richard
org:            Myint Family
adr;dom:        31349 Santa Cruz Way;;;Union City;CA;94587;
email;internet: ramyint@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;home:       510-429-8442
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE