Asean NGOs Support CRPP, MP detenti (r)

Subject: Re: Asean NGOs Support CRPP, MP detentions "Barbaric"

Hi MMT,

pls check your records. the first announcement was not CRPP - it was for
CGEPP - they changed the name soon after. here is transcript for your records:

STATEMENTS BY THE COMMITTEE CONSTITUTED TO ACT FOR AND ON BEHALF OF THE
1990 MULTI-PARTY GENERAL ELECTIONS PEOPLE'S PARLIAMENT (CGEPP)

Statement No. 1
September 1, 1998

 The CGEPP was born out of the duty to the people to convene
parliament. In May of 1990, a multi-party general election was held in
Burma. The people exercised their right to freely choose candidates to
represent them in a  Pyithu Hluttaaw (People's Parliament). Since many
of the peoples' representatives have been arrested and are suffering
imprisonment under the SPDC, this committee which has been authorized to
act on their behalf undertakes to carry out their duties.

 485 candidates were elected in the 1990 multi-party general
elections, out of which 26 have been died              leaving 459. This
committee of 10 people, has been empowered 251 NLD parliament members
and members who are friends of the NLD. Hence, it can legally act for
the People's Parliament.

 By 18th August, 1998, consent has been given  by the  Shan
Nationalities People's Liberation Organisation (SNPLO), Kayan New Land
Party (KNLP), Karenni Nationalities People's Liberation Front (KNPLF),
the New Mon State Party (NMSP).

 All laws, rules, procedural laws, orders, and notifications
made on after the 18 September 1988 without confirmation of the People's
Parliament have no legal authority.

 The committee has called for all political prisoners to be
immediately and unconditionally released.

 Exercising the authority given as above , the following
resolutions were made:-
(a) The People's Parliament members elected under the 1990 People's
Parliament  Election Law can not be removed from office by any law,
rules, edicts and orders nor on their own volition.
(b) Dr. U Saw Mra Aung, Chairman of the Arakan League for Democracy,
MP-elect from Arakan State, Myauk Oo township Constituency No.1 is
hereby elected as the People's Parliament President.
(c) The term of office of this People's Parliament shall be for the
period till a democratic constitution acceptable to the people has been
drawn up and adopted.
(d) The committee warmly welcomes associations that responded positively
to the move for convening the Pyithu Hluttaw to help solve political,
social, economic and other problems of the country.

 This committee will continue functioning on behalf of the
Parliament  until a  Parliament is convened in accordance with the
provisions of the 1990 Multi-party Pyithu Hluttaw (People's Parliament)
Election Law.