[burmanet2-l] Re: The Times - Bribe

Subject: Re: [burmanet2-l] Re: The Times - Bribery is key to life in Burma's death jail

There is a lot of room for agreement and discussion here. If they had
decided to go, and were committed to do so, then why did they turn away.
Who told them not to do it. Was there a vote? Did they abandon the
effort, and with it James and Rachel. It is a question for all. Who and
when should people test the will of the junta, and the flexibility of
the borders and the government. This obviously isnt good for tourism or
investment and not at all good for the image of the junta. And the
diplomats have their work cut out for them anyway, these people in jail
are more human rights abuses on their agenda. Important and timely.
Perhaps there is a question of who should go, under what conditions, and
with secrecy and background fully checked and covered. And the people
who decide to go should be aware that they will be tested and put under
stress, perhaps tortured, as James says he was. Prison in Burma is not
for the weak-hearted nor do for those who may be uncovered and then lost
to the movement.

No this is not a game. It is a test of will, time and committment.
Perhaps it will take some of the heat off Daw Aung San Suu Kyi who is
obviously not to be incriminated here. This is for the world at large,
the free world concerned about freedom in Burma. As she has said all
along, eloquently, it is a struggle for us all.

Yet some of us, if we were to choose to go and be imprisoned would be
taking unnecessary risk and at great risk of loss of life. It would be
more resourceful not to be imprisoned. But in any prisoner of war
situation, these are very delicate and uneasy problems to tackle. And
life is at risk. That is the nature of the game. That is the cost of
sticking your neck out when others prefer to go to the shopping malls
and watch soap operas or show off their latest car or whatever.
Committment is not a second nature; it is the priority.

If these people were called off, then perhaps it was for a reason, and
perhaps they are only waiting in the wings. The junta border guards and
visa donors are on the watch, so of course, every one will have to be
exceedingly careful.

And very quiet.

ds