UK/BURMA

Tuesday, September 28, 1999 Published at 13:22 GMT 14:22 UK

BBC
             UK Politics

             Robin Cook's speech

             This is the full text of Foreign Secretary Robin
             Cook's speech to the Labour Party conference:

             I last met Vetan the week after we liberated Kosovo.
             That day among the people of Pristina I saw the joy of
             freedom.

             I also saw the horror of oppression.

                           I stood at the door of a farmhouse
                           and saw the remains of thirty people
                           lying where they had been shot.

                           Mostly crawled into the corners in a
                           desperate, futile attempt to hide from
             the bullets.

             In Kosovo Europe witnessed the greatest persecution of
             a whole people since the days of Hitler or Stalin.

             We acted because the age of mass deportation and
             ethnic cleansing belongs to Europe's past. We are not
             going to let it come back.

             Milosevic was beaten in Kosovo. If our predecessors in
             Government had acted as decisively to stop him in the
             past decade then we would never have seen the tragedy
             of Kosovo.

             Or Bosnia. Since the Serb army pulled out of Kosovo
             there is a new spirit of hope in Bosnia. The rate at which
             Bosnian refugees are going back has almost trebled now
             they know Milosevic is not coming back.

             Our victory must be a turning point for all the Balkans.
             Serbia has seven neighbours. Every one of them was
             solid in their support for our action.

             We owe it to them to be equally solid in helping them
             build a new future for the Balkans.

             A future in which we open up the markets of Europe and
             help them end the poverty that breeds conflict.

             A future in which we share with them the key lesson of
             modern Europe. That the more we bring down barriers
             with our neighbours, the more secure each of us
             becomes.

             We are making good progress in getting that lesson
             understood in the Balkans.

             I am sorry to have to tell conference that we are further
             away than ever from getting it understood in today's Tory
             Party.

             They have just launched yet another Tory campaign
             against Europe. This time called Conservatives Against a
             Federal Europe.

             They want to be known for short as cafe.

             Let's not tell them it's a French word.

             A fifth of the Tory Parliamentary Party have signed up.
             Though these days you could get a fifth of the Tory Party
             into most medium sized cafés.

             All members of cafe are urged to "make your voice heard
             in William's office".

             Making your voice heard in William's office seems to me
             a very modest ambition. I want our voice to be heard in
             Europe.

             Thanks to Labour, that is where Britain's voice is now
             heard.

             As a result we got agreement to end the beef ban, and
             the best ever deal for our regions.

             Under Labour, Britain is leading Europe, not leaving
             Europe.

             Leading the reform of Europe - to make it more open,
             more in touch with the people. And who better to do it
             than the man who started the reform of our party and is
             now reforming the European Commission. Our own Neil
             Kinnock.

             But Britain will not be taken seriously on the case for
             reform, if Europe does not believe we want to make it a
             success.

             Last month we heard the authentic voice of the Tory
             party on Europe. Margaret Thatcher. She claimed that
             Europe had been "an absolute disaster for Britain". I
             would not dream of disputing that Margaret Thatcher is
             an expert on absolute disasters.

             But the real disaster for Britain would be withdrawal from
             Europe. That is the true logic of the Tory position.

             It would be a disaster because we sell most of our
             exports to Europe, and we need to be there when they
             draw up the rules.

             Because we and our neighbours face the same problems
             of cross-border crime, the same challenges of protecting
             our environment, and we need common solutions.

             And because we need the united strength of Europe
             when we talk to the rest of the world.

             And if it becomes clear that our five tests have been met
             and that Britain's interest would be better served by
             joining the Single Currency, then we will invite the British
             people in a referendum to make the right choice.

             If the economic conditions are right, Labour will not let
             Britain lose out by staying out.

             I challenge William Hague to say that to the Tory
             Conference next week.

             Of course he won't dare. The emergency exit is too far
             away from the platform. He knows Conservative dogma
             would keep Britain out even if it meant Britain losing out.

             The Tories should be honest with the people of Britain.

             For many of our people, out of Europe would mean out of
             work.

             The British people wouldn't thank them if it happened.
             Nor would our friends around the world.

             Some Tories used to claim that we had to choose
             between Europe and America.

             This Government has more influence in Brussels and
             because of that more respect in Washington than the
             Conservatives ever did.

             It is not only in Europe that we inherited from the
             Conservatives a record of stalemate. We were left a
             whole catalogue of problems.

             One by one we have been tackling them.

             After ten long years the Lockerbie bombing will be
             brought to court. At last, the relatives of those who died
             that night can hear the evidence in open court.

             For the first time in seventeen years since we went to
             war with Argentina we have brokered an agreement with
             them on contacts with the Falkland Islands.

             For the first time in a decade we have secured an
             undertaking from the Government of Iran that it will do
             nothing to carry out the fatwah against Salman Rushdie.

             And for the first time in forty years since the Castro
             revolution, Britain has held talks with the Foreign
             Minister of Cuba. I made it clear we want to see better
             human rights in Cuba. But we have a better chance of
             getting them, not by blockading Cuba but by making the
             world open to Cuba.

             Isolation in the modern world carries a big penalty in the
             global economy. We do not wish to visit isolation on any
             country that is willing to engage with us.

             But there are some regimes so remote from our values
             that they must be made to pay the price of isolation.

             One of these is Burma, ruled by a regime that has put
             hundreds of elected MPs in prison and hundreds of
             thousands of its people into refugee camps.

             As I speak, there is a service of commemoration for
             Michael Aris, the husband of Aung San Suu Kyi. When
             Michael knew he was dying of cancer, we asked the
             Government of Burma to give him a visa so that he could
             say goodbye to his wife. They refused.

             They could not make even a simple act of human
             compassion to a dying man.

             It is because of their behaviour that this Government has
             stopped all support for trade with Burma and
             discouraged any tourism to Burma.

             Some people say that human rights in other countries is
             none of our business. We can have democracy and civil
             liberty for ourselves, but can turn a blind eye to how
             other governments behave and a deaf ear to the cries for
             help of their people.

             I find it offensive that the same people should insist on
             democracy and freedom for Europeans, but insist that
             we should do nothing to defend the same rights of the
             peoples of Asia, or Africa.

             Every delegate can be proud that last week's report from
             Amnesty concludes that your government "has made a
             genuine and active commitment to human rights".

             Let's put a myth to rest.

             Your government has not sold weapons that would
             suppress democracy or freedom.

             We rejected every licence to Indonesia when the
             weapons might have been used for suppression. We
             refused them sniper rifles, we refused them silenced
             firearms, and we refused them armoured Land Rovers.

             I see the Daily Mail has discovered a principled
             opposition to the arms trade.

             What a pity they didn't discover it when the Conservative
             Government they supported was burying Indonesia under
             arms.

             I am content to be judged by the people of East Timor.

             Xanana Gusmao has led their independence movement
             for the past twenty years, half of them from a prison in
             Jakarta.

             He has sent us this message.

             Video message from Xanana Gusmao:

             It is a great honour for me to send my good wishes to
             the Labour Party for your Centenary Conference. For one
             quarter of those hundred years, my country has been
             occupied. Today I wait on the other side of the world
             from you ready to return to an independent East Timor.

             These have been difficult weeks for us. The people of
             East Timor have suffered appalling atrocities at the
             hands of the militias backed by the Indonesian military.
             They have seen friends and families killed and their
             homes destroyed. But what the militias have not
             destroyed is our desire to live as an independent people
             under a government of our choice.

             For many years the Labour Party has given us support
             and strength. Since you have been in Government, you
             have stood by us and you have played a key part to
             secure independence for East Timor. You have
             supported us in the United Nations and worked hard to
             turn the promise of a referendum into a reality. And when
             violence followed our vote for freedom, you played a vital
             role in building international support behind our cause.

             On a personal note, I would also like to express once
             more my gratitude for the speed with which the UK
             Government responded to the need for security of myself
             and my team in Jakarta making available your Embassy
             to us. The hospitality of your Ambassador Robin
             Christopher and his staff was out of the ordinary.

             I will miss Derek Fatchett who visited me regularly when
             I was under house arrest and who was the first British
             Minister to visit East Timor only weeks before he died
             this year. His death is a loss to us all.

             As you celebrate the first one hundred years of your
             Party's history, you can be proud of the role that you
             have played in East Timor. You have shown that you are
             prepared to take bold steps for what you believe. In a
             hundred years time we will celebrate the first centenary
             of an independent East Timor, and you will celebrate
             your second century. I am confident that with the clear
             leadership you have shown, you will be as proud of your
             second hundred years as you can be of your first.

             Xanana Gusmao was a civil servant in East Timor before
             its occupation by Indonesia in 1975. Following the
             invasion he became leader of the East Timor resistance
             movement and Commander of FALANTIL - the national
             liberation armed forces of East Timor.

             He was captured in 1992 by the Indonesian army and
             given a life sentence. It is believed that he received
             psychological ill treatment during his trial.

             Xanana has become a symbol of East Timor's struggle
             for freedom and a key figure in the search for a political
             solution.

             I promised the people of East Timor that we would not
             allow their cry for freedom to be drowned in blood.

             We are delivering on that promise. Our troops were
             among the first ashore.

             No other nation has a higher proportion of its armed
             forces active on peace-keeping duties around the globe.

             That is a measure of our internationalism. For a hundred
             years, Labour has been the Party of internationalism.

             It was members of the Labour Movement who first
             opposed the rise of fascism and fought it in Spain.

             It was the Labour Party that campaigned to end
             colonialism and under Atlee replaced an Empire with a
             Commonwealth.

             And it was the Labour Party that opposed Apartheid. It
             was the Conservative Party that opposed the sanctions
             that brought down Apartheid.

             Peter Hain used to sit on the pavement outside the
             South African Embassy leading protests. Today he goes
             into it as Minister for Africa for a Labour Party that is
             welcome because of our long support for their struggle
             for freedom in South Africa.

             We have a good record. It proves that Labour is in touch
             with the outside world and was right on the big questions
             of the century that has past.

             The real political divide in the next century will be
             between internationalists and isolationists.

             The isolationists in the Tory Party see every new
             partnership with foreigners as a threat.

             As internationalists, we do not find working with
             foreigners unpatriotic.

             Labour wants Britain to be part of the modern world, not
             a prisoner of its past.

             We recognise globalisation demands a New
             Internationalism.

             And our internationalism recognises that we cannot
             deliver our domestic programme working alone in the
             world.

             Our internationalism recognises that the boundaries of
             national interest have shifted.

             As Kofi Annan said to the United Nations 'in the global
             era, the collective interest is the national interest'.

             Our internationalism recognises that rights belong to the
             people not to their governments.

             We ignored Milosevic when he tried to tell us that
             atrocities were an internal matter. Gross breaches of
             humanitarian law are the business of all humanity.

             Vetan Surroi began by telling us what it was like to be
             liberated from oppression.

             The campaign we fought in Kosovo was not fought to
             gain us territory or to bring us greater power.

             What prompted us to intervene, what motivated us to
             maintain the resolve of the alliance, was our values
             -freedom, justice, compassion - basic human decency.

             Those are the values that gained Labour the support of
             the British people. And those are the values that are
             gaining Britain under Labour new respect around the
             world.