Remember Peru!!! Burmese Rebles ho

Subject: Remember Peru!!!  Burmese Rebles hold Thai Embassy, demand releases all political prisoners

This doesnt look good for the brave and desperate. Remember the Peru
Embassy takeover and Peruvian president Fujimori's "rescue" operation
that ended with the killing of 16 people in 1997 after taking hold of
the Japanese ambassador house in Lima after a reception there and
holding hundreds of hostages in the residence.

Peaceful solutions could have been achieved if only the leaders on both
sides took some extra effort to exhaust all possibilities of reaching a
compromise.  But Fujimori, assessing his political popularity declined
with each day pushing the crisis to a stalemante, closed all peaceful
means of solving the crisis, and opted for an all-out military assault
against the Tupac Amaru hostage holding group.

That incident bacame a dangerous international precedent, especially in
view of the popularity of it; remember that Fujimori gave the go signal
for the assualt team while they were still negotiating with the rebels,
who were then playing football inside the Japanese embassy.

Fujimori had a directive "take no prisoners", and some witness
statements after said the Tupac Amaur rebels were murdered by the eilite
soldiers while surrendering, clear violations of Protocal I, ARt. 41
giving protection to combatants "who clearly expresses an intention to
surrender". and other related humanitarian laws.

These burmese rebels are entitled to all basic humanitarian protection,
and not to fall victim to a breach of international law of which States
are signatory.

It was a domestic hostage taking incident. This time the Burmese rebels
have taken their own embassy on Thai soil, which alters the equation
slightly. Fujimori wanted to crush the opposition and show himself a
dominant authoritarian leader of national unity to defeat the MRTA and
maintain political leadership and stability. So he destroyed them, and
won increasing popularity, while the opposition leaders and their
friends were killed or remain buried alive in undergound prison cells.

If the EAst Timor crisis is at all indicative of the current political
climate in Asia, we must be all the more weary and urge measures to
avoid that this crisis be resolved in a military way.