NEWS - Gunmen in Myanmar embassy li

Subject: NEWS - Gunmen in Myanmar embassy list demands in fax

Gunmen in Myanmar embassy list demands in fax

BANGKOK, Oct 1 (Reuters) - Gunmen holed up in the Myanmar embassy in
Bangkok on Friday demanded Yangon's military government free all
political prisoners, enter into a dialogue with the opposition and
convene a democratic parliament.

In a faxed statement to Asiaworks Television Ltd in Bangkok, the group
warned that if the Myanmar military government did not accede to the
demands it would be fully responsible ``for all consequences of this
action.'' The group, calling itself the ``Vigorous Burmese Students
Warriors,'' said so far it had not killed anyone and would like to talk
to the Thai authorities.

05:12 10-01-99
demands,'' it said in the fax to the television production company.
``Right now we didn't kill anyone and we didn't oppress anyone,'' it
added, ``also we need food for the hostages.''

The statement said the group was not connected with Myanmar dissident
student organisations, the country's opposition or international support
groups. ``This action is our own movement and our own ideas,'' it said.

The statement expressed support for a committee established last year by
Myanmar's main opposition party the National League for Democracy (NLD)
to represent a parliament elected in 1990 but never allowed to convene
by the military.

The NLD, led by 1991 Nobel Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi, won the
country's last election by a landslide but the ruling military ignored
the result. The NLD advocates non-violent political change in Myanmar.

05:28 10-01-99

Copyright 1999 Reuters