MY OBSERVATION ON BKK EMBASSY SIEGE (r)

POSTED 2-OCT-99; 11:00AM.

OBSERVATION ON THE SIEGE ON BANGKOK EMBASSY
Latest development of a dissident Burmese group holding hostage on
Embassy staffs and foreigners at Bangkok is certainly a worrying trend
for the democracy movement. To their credit, this dissident group
distanced themselves from opposition NLD and all other exile groups
operating in Thailand and elsewhere, whilst making demands for
commencement of dialogue and convening of parliament in Burma.
Nevertheless, their action of violence-- i.e. taking hostage -- is quite
unacceptable and we should not encourage such action. We should also
praise the Thai Security Forces for the humane handling, so far, of this
case and trying to solve the siege by negotiation. Hopefully, the crisis
be resolved by the release of all hostages and peaceful surrender to the
Thai authorities for all dissidents involved.

On the other hand, we should investigate on matters such as (1) the
identity of these dissidents (2) how this group acquire assault weapons
such as AK-47 and Grenades.

One certain thing is that Burmese ethnic rebel group or well connected
and experienced groups like ABSDF are unlikely to be involved in any
such operation. All pro-democracy groups in Thailand are very well aware
about the possible consequences of such action, i.e. the Thai
authorities' severe crackdown on all dissident groups. It is to be
concluded that this dissident group must have been most isolated one
from all other groups.

Second question is how this group acquire these weapons. We know that it
is quite easy to obtain this sort of weapon in Thailand. However, as I
understand, the Thai intelligence community have a very good
surveillance over the activities of Burmese dissidents in Thailand. To
organise heavily-armed underground action with 12 people under the nose
of Thai intelligence will be quite difficult. How, then, this dissident
group managed to mount this operation ?

To my knowledge, the situation of Burmese dissidents and Embassy in
Bangkok  is quite fluid naturally (note: I've never been to Bangkok for
myself, however). The Burmese students routinely hold demonstrations and
stage hunger-strikes in front of that Embassy. Few instances, they went
into Embassy (apparently by the back door) and deliver message to the
Burmese Ambassador etc. So far as the publicity of the movement in
concern, things like Gate Crashing may be allowable. However, actions
such as taking hostage etc are not good and can be back-fired on the
movement. Hopefully, this crisis does not escalate into further violence
and bloodshed.

SPDC/SLORC IN DESPERATION TOO

Just yesterday, the Indonesian democracy movement set a mile-stone by
convening a first ever democratically elected parliament. This is
putting more pressure on SPDC/SLORC to allow convening Burma's
parliament. Development in Indonesia makes SPDC/SLORC the last
'recalcitrant' government standing in the row. International
mobilisation on East Timore is also very strong, which SPDC/SLORC could
certainly feel the heat.

One of most unfortunate thing emerged over recent year is an
uncompromising stance of General Khin Nyunt on the issue of dialogue
with NLD. Because time is running out for him to be persuaded to enter
dialogue, I would rather request him to retire from his job. Things on
this issue are not well and my heart is even more heavier on this
matter.

With best regards, U Ne Oo.
--
HTTP://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~uneoo