JOINT STATEMENT ON THE SUCCESSFUL &

Subject: JOINT STATEMENT ON THE SUCCESSFUL & NON-VIOLENT RESOLUTION OF  THE BURMESE HOSTAGE CRISIS

October 2, 1999

JOINT STATEMENT ON THE SUCCESSFUL & NON-VIOLENT RESOLUTION OF THE BURMESE
HOSTAGE CRISIS

We offer our heartiest congratulations to the Thai authorities for the
speedy and non-violent resolution of the Burmese embassy hostage crisis.

We are all very relieved that the hostages were released without injury or
difficulty, further, that MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra and Mr Chaiyapluer
Saengcharuen returned safely. Their heroic actions to ensure a safe ending
to this episode is greatly appreciated.

The Ministry of the Interior and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs proved
their ability to handle crises using sophisticated, non-violent and
creative approaches. The Thai authorities were able to use their crisis
management skills and diplomacy to satisfactorily resolve a hostage
situation within 24 hours. We urge them to also apply these skills with
determination to resolve the problems in Burma.

The handling of the crisis by Thai leadership is extremely impressive.
However, we are concerned that unless the root causes of the problems in
Burma are resolved peacefully and politically, the danger of similar
hostage crises will still exist. Therefore, we urge the Thai government, as
the chair of Asean, to immediately initiate a diplomatic offensive to push
for positive reforms in Burma. Asean should explore all possible
non-military approaches to solve this problem, before it worsens. Asean
should also seriously work with its dialogue partners at ensuring a
coordinated and firm approach.

Finally, we applaud the priority set by Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai that
there was to be no bloodshed in the handling of this situation. The efforts
of all officers, personnel and civilian staff to resolve this incident
deserves the highest praises.

We also urge the local authorities not to embark on a security backlash
against exiled organizations that have been actively pursuing non-violent
means to achieve human rights and democracy in Burma.  Hunting down such
organizations will only diminish the voices and abilities of non-violent
groups. We should be supporting the increased capacity of non-violent
groups in their work to promote democracy and human rights in other to
reduce the potential for such incidents to recur.

· Forum-Asia (Asian Forum for Human Rights & Development)
· Foreign Affairs Committee, National Council of the Union of Burma
· Friends Without Border Project
· Campaign for Popular Democracy
· CCHROT (Coordinating Committee of Human Rights Organizations in Thailand)
· Student Federation of Thailand
· TACDB (Thai Action Committee for Democracy in Burma)
· Union for Civil Liberty
· Altsean-Burma (Alternative Asean Network on Burma)

Inquiries Tel:
   275 1811 (English)
01 614 7080 (Thai)

A L T S E A N - B U R M A