FNLDA communication to Thai governm

Subject: FNLDA communication to Thai government re siege

Dear colleagues,

The siege is over, and we are grateful that no
loss of life has occurred to detract from the
issues that the VBSW has brought to the
attention of the world media. I include here
excerpts from a FNLDA letter to the Thai Prime
Minister re the handling of the siege. Sections
left out are repetitive of the sample letter
included in my previous email.

Susan Locke
Chair
Friends of the National League for Democracy
Australia

***************************************

H.E. Chuan Leekpai
Prime Minister
The Secretariat of the Prime Minister
Government House,
Phitsanulok Road
Bangkok 10300
Thailand

E-mail: govspkmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

October 2, 1999

Dear Prime Minister,

We thank you for your government's sensitive and
intelligent handling of the Burmese Embassy
siege. In an extremely difficult situation, your
officials handled themselves with restraint and
humanity.  Your government's conduct of the
response to the siege highlights the difference
between a democratic government and a repressive
regime. Our particular appreciation goes to
Deputy Foreign Minister Sukhumbhand Paribatr for
his courage and self-sacrifice. It is something
that we, members of the Friends of the National
League for Democracy Australia, greatly
appreciate.

We particularly seek your assurances that
Burmese democracy groups and refugees in
Thailand, practicing legal and non-violent
protests against the Burmese SPDC regime, are
given Thai protection of law and that there will
be no repercussions for such groups resulting
from the siege.

We look forward to your reply regarding actions
you will be taking to support the restoration of
law and democracy in Burma as well as your
assurances of non-retaliation against Burmese
democracy groups and refugees. The Burmese
people need your continued support.

Your faithfully,

Susan Locke
Chair, FNLDA
0418 635 990 (phone); 02 9519 3052 (fax)