BKK Post (3-10-99) No. 3

captors<br>
Burmese embassy yesterday expressed their support for the cause of their
captors, the &quot;Vigorous Burmese Students Warriors.&quot;One unnamed
captive said all the students were brave men who had made a sacrifice for
their compatriots suffering from the oppression of Burma's military
regime.<br>
Another added that it was good to see student dissidents doing the
&quot;right thing for their country and people and supporting democracy
in Burma.&quot;The hostages were released after the students flew off in
a helicopter from the Armed Forces Academy Preparatory School. They were
then taken away by authorities in two vans, depriving reporters of a
chance to hold proper interviews.<br>
>From brief comments gained as they were driven away, they said they
wanted to see gradual political change in Burma. Some added that the
international community should pay more attention to political problems
and human rights issues in that country. The 26 hostages in the van
included 12 Thais and 14 Westerners.<br>
M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra, deputy foreign minister, and Chaiyapruek
Sawaengcharoen, a former director of the Maneeloy camp for Burmese
students in Ratchaburi province, took the place of the hostages and flew
away with the dissidents.<br>
In all there were 38 hostages of various nationalities held when the
students raided the Burmese embassy on Friday. Twelve of them were left
at the embassy when the students left for the helicopter. Another 51
people hid themselves in various rooms of the embassy compound during the
ordeal. A total 89 people were inside the embassy during the siege. The
26 hostages taken to the Armed Forces Academy Preparatory School wore red
headbands with the logo of the dissident group emblazoned upon it.<br>
The hostages waved to the students and onlookers cheered loudly and
applauded them when the helicopter took off. Several hostages
cried.<br>
The released captives also praised the Thai authority's decision to let
the dissidents go.<br>
One Western female hostage said she sympathised with the dissidents'
political movement.<br>
&quot;They talked to us about their reasons for doing this thing. They
didn't fear death. I really appreciate them and praise them as heroes of
my heart forever,&quot; she added.<br>
Another male foreign hostage made a thumbs up sign. He said the students
needed to see change in their country.<br>
&quot; I'm very concerned about this and want to see a bright political
future in Burma.&quot; The captives were then taken hurriedly into the
Bayer building, which was turned into a command centre, for medical
check-ups. A medical staff member said most of them were weak, but said
there were no traces of physical abuse on their bodies. Ms Wannarat
Udomsamutr, 25, the first hostage to be released early yesterday morning
said she is four months pregnant. She said she was worried about her
child and asked the dissidents to release her in the morning. She said:
&quot;I feel sympathy for them and I am concerned about the political
future of Burma,&quot; she added.<br>
Pon Netrnimit, 50, another hostage said that he was busy filling in
documents for a visa at the embassy when the students broke in and one
turned an AK assault rifle on him.<br>
&quot;I was frightened. I saw one student point a gun at the head of a
Special Branch policeman guarding the embassy. The policeman was bleeding
from his eyebrow. He was probably hit with the gun,&quot; Mr Pon said. He
said that he also saw an M16 assault rifle being thrown over the wall
into the embassy and one of the student ran to get it.<br>
&quot;The dissidents honoured the Thai hostages a lot. They treated us
well and allowed us to call home on our mobile phones. But the three
Burmese embassy officials were threatened all the time. The dissidents
said they would be the first to be killed if their demands were not
met,&quot; Mr Pon said.<br>
He said that the dissidents were very tense the night before because they
lost contact with the Thai authorities.<br>
The food and cigarettes for them arrived very late at about 2am. In
addition a fax was sent in threatening to kill the students, who then got
mad and broke some windows.<br>
He said the scariest time was at the Bangkok Christian School football
field where the helicopter was supposed to land at first but did not turn
up. &quot;They were really mad then and fired several shots into the
air,&quot; Mr Pon said.</font>
<BR>