NEWS - Thai minister says siege tea

Subject: NEWS - Thai minister says siege teaches Thailand lessons

Thai minister says siege teaches Thailand lessons

BANGKOK, Oct 2 (Reuters) - Thai Interior Minister Sanan Kachornprasart
said on Saturday Thailand had learned a big lesson from the siege of the
Myanmar embassy in Bangkok.

Sanan told a local radio station Thailand would have to think carefully
about how to treat Myanmar dissidents exiled in the country.

``This is a lesson for the country that any lapses (of security) are
dangerous,'' he said.

``If we were to be strict (in enforcing laws), the non-governmental
organisations would criticise us. We should brainstorm on this and come
up with practical suggestions.''

Sanan, who directed government negotiations with the embassy attackers
throughout the siege of more than 24 hours said Thailand had given high
priority to the safety of the hostages.

He said Thailand had adopted some delaying tactics during the last tense
hours of the drama, which ended with the 14 Myanmar dissidents flying
off in two helicopters to the Thai-Myanmar border. He gave no details.

``We had everything under control and closely monitored all the
time...we could read their minds. Our team always analysed the situation
and made suggestions,'' he said.

04:22 10-02-99