COMPLETE TRANSCRIPT:U.S DEPARTMENT

Subject: COMPLETE TRANSCRIPT:U.S DEPARTMENT OF STATE  DATED 4TH OCTOBER 1999

Transcript: State Department Noon Briefing, October 1, 1999
(Koh to Indonesia and East Timor, Georgia, Arms Control/CTBT,
Russia/Chechnya, Thailand/Burma, Japan, Serbia, China/Taiwan, Turkey,
Cyprus) (6010)

State Department Spokesman James Rubin briefed.

Following is the State Department transcript:

(begin transcript)

US DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Daily Press Briefing Index
Friday, October 1, 1999

Q: Do you know anything more about the situation at the Burmese
embassy in Bangkok? Is there an American being held in there? Do you
know anything about this group that is occupying it, what the status
of all that is?

RUBIN: We can confirm that about 12 individuals identifying themselves
as Burmese activists seized the Burmese embassy in Bangkok today at
about noon local time. We strongly condemn this terrorist attack on a
diplomatic establishment and the taking of hostages, regardless of the
perpetrators' motives or demands. There is, simply, no justification
for terrorism under any circumstances. We hold the perpetrators
responsible for the safety of the hostages. They should release them
immediately and unconditionally.
At this time, there is conflicting information. We have seen reports
indicating that there may be an American citizen among the hostages.
However, Thai authorities have told our embassy in Bangkok that to the
best of their knowledge, there are no Americans among the hostages. We
continue to pursue information about possible Americans.
Let me point out that the United States certainly is second to none in
opposing the policies of the Burmese leadership that have repressed
their own people, denied democracy to Aung San Suu Kyi and the
numerous other brave activists who have sought only their legitimate
international rights. Having said that, however, we condemn the use of
terrorism for any purpose.