FR: Hostage taking came just in the

Subject: FR: Hostage taking came just in the right moment for Burmese military

--------------37D4F80AEF53A6862C6E993A

Hostage taking came just in the right moment for Burmese military

Frankfurter Rundschau, October 4 1999
by Jürgen Dauth (Hong Kong)

BLOODLEES END OF THE ACTION IN BANGKOK / EXILES ON DISTANCE TO THE
"STUDENT WARRIORS"

The hostage taking in the Burmese embassy in Bangkok was ended without
bloodshed. To the Burmese democracy movement this action of protest did
a great harm. The Burmese generals could not create a better propaganda:
the five armed hostage takers confirmed their slogan that the democracy
movement of the Peace Nobel Price laureate Aung San Suu Kyi is a
terroristic organisation.

Owing to the farsightedness of the Thai authorities the hostage taking
ended bloodless. The 89 Burmese and foreigners, amongst them one German,
got released after 26 hours at Saturday. The hostage takers got flown
to the Burmese border; there they let the "activists" escape
unhindered. Thailand would like to repatriate all here living
exil-Burmese people. In Thailand there are some 100.000 exiles,
additionally there are several 100.000 illegal workers. The "Vigorous
Burmese Student Warriors", how the five hostage takers called
themselves, did not have any direkt link to the Burmese democracy
movement. "We are shocked," complained Teddy Buri a spokesman of the
National Council of the Union of Burma (NCUB), which umbrellas several
exil groups. Before, Burmese exiles did two time draw attention to the
oppresion in Burma by aeroplane hijacking. Such actions are harmful,
said Buri. The hostage takers came out of a - by the exiles feared -
camp in Ratchaburi, 140 km west of Bangkok, which is also known for its
tensions between different political groups. Here also settled
extremists like the God Army, whose teenage leader claim he has a direct
connection to god.

Buri called the hostage taking as a awakening call. More dangerous and
more violent actions of protest can no more be excluded in future,
especially if the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, ASEAN, won't
put its member Burma under stronger pressure for achieving a political
normalisation. The Thai Foreign Minister Surin Pitsuwan took this
occasion to repeat his request to the ASEAN "to affect positive on
Burma. But the political will is missing."

[Translated from German by Heiko Schäfer]
--
+================== Burma Group Tuebingen ==================+
| Heiko Schaefer                  | heiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx     |

begin:vcard
n:Schäfer;Heiko
tel;work:++49 (70 71) 55 25 54
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.burmagroup.de/
org:Burma Group Tübingen
adr:;;Beim Herbstenhof 42;Tübingen;;72076;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:heiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Vorstand
x-mozilla-cpt:;-17728