Thai Land must now think hard on Bu (r)

Subject: Thai Land must now think hard on Burma.

--------------35F5925BB42AE9D824BC12D9

Thailand and the new world order

by panyoma/syd

Myanmar military is acting like a spoilt child aftermath of "the embassy
siege."
Closing down the border passes with Thailand and suspension of fishing
rights for Thai trawlers is a bit out of step and heavy handed.

After all these years and spent all these money to build" Friendship
Bridges", been through all these political criticisms,and so on. A long
time trading partnership between Thailand and Myanmar are to be to be
ceased is self inflicting for both sides.
Does the military really mean or use it as a bargaining chip? or yet
another stupid act?
The Myanmar military has called the shot on Thailand.

There are a few other major reasons  besides the embassy seizure event
which acts as a trigger for the military to retaliate.

1. Myanmar military was quite upset when Thailand proposed  "flexible
engagement policy" on Myanmar at the previous ASEAN's FM meeting and
admitted failure of existing" constructive engagement policy".

2. The military's dream of selling gas to Thailand and earning handsome
US$ is on the limbo and getting nowhere.Thailland is broke. There is no
money to pay for the gas, no where to sell and therefore no gas is
needed for the time being. Sorry.
The Myanmar military was really pissed off with Thailand in this two
major occasions.

Now Myanmar military is up to bargain with Thailand including "back
pays" as well.
>>From the economic point of views ,this is a suicidal for the military to
lose earning $ from fishing rights and cross border trading with the
Thais for its already very low foreign reserves. Drug lord Khun Sa's
moneys are the only big investments in the country at the moment.It also
comes at a price for the military.Harbouring and protecting a indicted
criminal wanted by US.

Sending a two very conflicting messages to Thailand regarding the
embassy siege.
Thank you for soft handling and you are friend of my enemy.
Making Thailand guilty to start with.

Now this is the time for Thailand to think it hard on how to handle it.

Make it or break it? A new world order? or its internal business
politics?

to be continued..........

CCT wrote:

> [...]
> the embassy takeover.
> Thein Swe is a leading member of the Office of Strategic Studies, a
> powerful think-tank under the command of security chief Lt Gen Khin
> Nyunt.
> But the statements made by the state-run media contradicted those made
> by the Burmese head of state.
> Chairman of the ruling State Peace and Development Council Gen Than
> Schwe had sent a letter thanking Chuan for his efforts in solving the
> crisis peacefully.
> He also praised Deputy Foreign Minister Sukhumbhand Paribatra for his
> courage. Sukhumbhand volunteered to travel with the rebels when they
> flew by helicopter to the Thai-Burmese border in exchange for the
> release of the hostages.
> The five attackers, who called themselves the Vigorous Burmese Student
> Warriors, stormed the Burmese Embassy last Friday, taking 38 people
> hostage at gunpoint, while holding 51 others in a different section.
> Interior Minister Sanan Kachornprasart had earlier referred to the
> five gunmen as ''students fighting for democracy'', instead of
> ''terrorists''.
> Infuriated by the statement, Rangoon issued a reply on Monday saying:
> ''One wonders if at any point during the entire siege of the embassy,
> the trigger-happy gunmen's ... activity had resulted in the death of
> not only the embassy staff but families including children, can they
> still be regarded as 'not terrorists, but students who are fighting
> for democracy','' the statement said.
> Speaking at the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand, Sukhumbhand
> tried to clarify Sanan's statement, saying that although the five
> armed attackers were not ''international terrorists'', nevertheless,
> what they did constituted a ''terrorist act''.
> ''We will proceed legally because they have committed a crime under
> Thai law,'' he said. ''However, there is a void in the Thai legal
> system in giving a legal definition of international terrorist.''
> Although the Thai security agencies has vowed to restrict the movement
> of dissident groups operating in and around the Thai border, it was
> nevertheless understood that these students had escaped persecution
> and sought refuge here, Chuan said.
> In a separate interview, Sukhumbhand reaffirmed the National Security
> Council's decision to impose stricter controls on the movement of
> Burmese dissident groups in Thailand.
> However, the country's policy towards refugees residing on Thai soil
> would not be changed.
> Thailand must continue its present policy of providing temporary
> refuge for the Burmese, he said.
> The security council has said that the raid on the Burmese Embassy
> constituted a threat to national security.
> But Sukhumbhand emphasised that the Burmese had not requested more
> security measures despite numerous reports last month saying that
> Burmese dissidents throughout the world were planning a series of
> protests against the military government.

<HTML>
<FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>

<P><FONT SIZE=+1>Thailand and the new world order</FONT><FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>

<P><FONT SIZE=+1>by panyoma/syd</FONT><FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>

<P><FONT SIZE=+1>Myanmar military is acting like a spoilt child aftermath
of "the embassy siege."</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+1>Closing down the border passes with Thailand and suspension
of fishing rights for Thai trawlers is a bit out of step and heavy handed.</FONT><FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>

<P><FONT SIZE=+1>After all these years and spent all these money to build"
Friendship Bridges", been through all these political criticisms,and so
on. A long time trading partnership between Thailand and Myanmar are to
be to be ceased is self inflicting for both sides.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+1>Does the military really mean or use it as a bargaining
chip? or yet another stupid act?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+1>The Myanmar military has called the shot on Thailand.</FONT><FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>

<P><FONT SIZE=+1>There are a few other major reasons&nbsp; besides the
embassy seizure event which acts as a trigger for the military to retaliate.</FONT><FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>

<P><FONT SIZE=+1>1. Myanmar military was quite upset when Thailand proposed&nbsp;
"flexible engagement policy" on Myanmar at the previous ASEAN's FM meeting
and admitted failure of existing" constructive engagement policy".</FONT><FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>

<P><FONT SIZE=+1>2. The military's dream of selling gas to Thailand and
earning handsome US$ is on the limbo and getting nowhere.Thailland is broke.
There is no money to pay for the gas, no where to sell and therefore no
gas is needed for the time being. Sorry.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+1>The Myanmar military was really pissed off with Thailand
in this two major occasions.</FONT><FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>

<P><FONT SIZE=+1>Now Myanmar military is up to bargain with Thailand including
"back pays" as well.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+1>From the economic point of views ,this is a suicidal
for the military to lose earning $ from fishing rights and cross border
trading with the Thais for its already very low foreign reserves. Drug
lord Khun Sa's moneys are the only big investments in the country at the
moment.It also comes at a price for the military.Harbouring and protecting
a indicted criminal wanted by US.</FONT><FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>

<P><FONT SIZE=+1>Sending a two very conflicting messages to Thailand regarding
the embassy siege.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+1>Thank you for soft handling and you are friend of my
enemy.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+1>Making Thailand guilty to start with.</FONT><FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>

<P><FONT SIZE=+1>Now this is the time for Thailand to think it hard on
how to handle it.</FONT><FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>

<P><FONT SIZE=+1>Make it or break it? A new world order? or its internal
business politics?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>&nbsp;<FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>

<P><FONT SIZE=+1>to be continued..........</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>&nbsp;
<BR><FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>&nbsp;
<BR><FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>&nbsp;
<BR><FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>&nbsp;
<BR><FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>&nbsp;

<P>CCT wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;<B><FONT SIZE=+2>Diplomatic relations with
Burma sour</FONT></B>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>DIPLOMATIC tension between Thailand and Burma grew yesterday
following the closure of border checkpoints and suspension of concessions
for Thai fishermen by Burma and a strong response by Prime Minister Chuan
Leekpai to Rangoon's criticism of Bangkok's handling of last week's hostage
crisis.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>The military government in Rangoon has yet to reopen
the border checkpoints or allow Thai fishermen into its waters, bringing
cross-border trade to a standstill over the past five days.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>Chuan, in what is considered the strongest remarks on
the situation by a senior Thai official so far, accused Rangoon of sending
mixed signals.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>''On the one hand Burma sends an official letter to thank
us. But on the other, its officials have been issuing critical statements,''
Chuan said.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>He insisted that the Thai authorities had done their
best to peacefully solve a problem which had its roots in Burma.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>''They cannot escape anywhere,'' Chuan said, referring
to Burma's pro-democracy students in general. ''So they come to our country,
which is helping to solve the problem. So, in fact, Burma cannot criticise
us.''</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>Burma should understand that Thailand had to put the
safety of embassy staff and other hostages first, he added.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>A state-run newspaper in Burma on Wednesday attacked
Thailand's handling of the hostage crisis. It said that bilateral relations
could be harmed if Bangkok did not tighten security over ''terrorist''
refugees from Burma residing on Thai soil.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>Col Thein Swe, former military attache at the Burmese
Embassy in Bangkok, went on government radio on Tuesday to accuse the Thai
intelligence service of being a sham for not being able to anticipate the
embassy takeover.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>Thein Swe is a leading member of the Office of Strategic
Studies, a powerful think-tank under the command of security chief Lt Gen
Khin Nyunt.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>But the statements made by the state-run media contradicted
those made by the Burmese head of state.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>Chairman of the ruling State Peace and Development Council
Gen Than Schwe had sent a letter thanking Chuan for his efforts in solving
the crisis peacefully.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>He also praised Deputy Foreign Minister Sukhumbhand Paribatra
for his courage. Sukhumbhand volunteered to travel with the rebels when
they flew by helicopter to the Thai-Burmese border in exchange for the
release of the hostages.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>The five attackers, who called themselves the Vigorous
Burmese Student Warriors, stormed the Burmese Embassy last Friday, taking
38 people hostage at gunpoint, while holding 51 others in a different section.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>Interior Minister Sanan Kachornprasart had earlier referred
to the five gunmen as ''students fighting for democracy'', instead of ''terrorists''.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>Infuriated by the statement, Rangoon issued a reply on
Monday saying: ''One wonders if at any point during the entire siege of
the embassy, the trigger-happy gunmen's ... activity had resulted in the
death of not only the embassy staff but families including children, can
they still be regarded as 'not terrorists, but students who are fighting
for democracy','' the statement said.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>Speaking at the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand,
Sukhumbhand tried to clarify Sanan's statement, saying that although the
five armed attackers were not ''international terrorists'', nevertheless,
what they did constituted a ''terrorist act''.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>''We will proceed legally because they have committed
a crime under Thai law,'' he said. ''However, there is a void in the Thai
legal system in giving a legal definition of international terrorist.''</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>Although the Thai security agencies has vowed to restrict
the movement of dissident groups operating in and around the Thai border,
it was nevertheless understood that these students had escaped persecution
and sought refuge here, Chuan said.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>In a separate interview, Sukhumbhand reaffirmed the National
Security Council's decision to impose stricter controls on the movement
of Burmese dissident groups in Thailand.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>However, the country's policy towards refugees residing
on Thai soil would not be changed.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>Thailand must continue its present policy of providing
temporary refuge for the Burmese, he said.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>The security council has said that the raid on the Burmese
Embassy constituted a threat to national security.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>But Sukhumbhand emphasised that the Burmese had not requested
more security measures despite numerous reports last month saying that
Burmese dissidents throughout the world were planning a series of protests
against the military government.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+0>The Nation</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------35F5925BB42AE9D824BC12D9--