Camp more a community than refuge

refuge<br>
siege<br>
Ministry registered a 20-rai block of land in Pakthor district of
Ratchaburi province as a &quot;safe Burmese student centre&quot;.<br>
Known as the Maneeloy holding camp, it was a place where Burmese
dissident students could live comfortably, with UN funding, away from the
persecution in their homeland.<br>
According to local residents, the centre began with fewer than 20 Burmese
fugitive students, but the number has since grown to nearly 2,000.<br>
A Burmese student admitted the centre, which was formerly a border patrol
police camp, is also home to many colleagues who have not registered with
the Interior Ministry.<br>
The students-cum-refugees are provided with dormitory accommodation and
those who need privacy can build their own shacks. Some have married and
have children, nephews and nieces. As a result, the Maneeloy camp
functions like a community.<br>
The &quot;community&quot; is demarcated only by a 1.5m high barbed wire
fence. The strands have been stretched apart by students who are too lazy
to use the main gate when they want to visit outside food shops for a
change from the free meals they are provided with three times a
day.<br>
The refugees can afford to eat and drink outside the camp because
everyone receives 800 baht per month from the United Nations High
Commissioner for Refugees. Thai staff said the Burmese are allowed out
during official working hours.<br>
Four food shops catering to the Burmese have been opened in the homes of
Thai villagers living nearby. The students often hang out there
throughout the day-relaxing, eating, sometimes drinking and singing, and
exchanging views with local Thais.<br>
These four shops take in tens of thousands of baht monthly, not including
the profits from the underground lottery which amount to nearly 10,000
baht per month.<br>
Koon Kingplong, 59, has run her food shop for nearly three months. She
charges 15 baht a plate, and 20 baht with a fried egg on top. Some
students pay their bills monthly.<br>
Despite the controversy over the armed takeover of the Burmese embassy
last weekend, she feels indifferent to it. The Burmese students at
Maneeloy are peaceful and she has never seen a fight there.<br>
&quot;Thai staff at the centre do not impose strict controls unless
something serious happens. I saw Johnny [the leader of the embassy
dissidents] at the camp frequently.<br>
&quot;He was here three days before the siege and looked normal, not
aggressive,&quot; Mrs Koon said.<br>
The students largely run the camp themselves. Every six months they elect
an administrative committee of 19, including the chairman. Members have
different responsibilities, to handle foreign affairs, alliance
relations, politics, news, finance, discipline and social affairs in the
camp.<br>
Shwe Hla, 36, the vice chairman, said the work is demanding as they have
to take care of everyone and ensure living conditions are
acceptable.<br>
Someone who is seriously ill cannot go directly to a doctor, Shwe Hla
said.<br>
The patient must go first to a clinic run by the International Rescue
Committee established by non-governmental organisations. There is no
doctor at the clinic, only a Thai nurse. The patient needs a certificate
from the clinic before he can travel to a hospital that has connections
with the UNHCR.<br>
All the Burmese students talked to agreed they will go to a third country
if they have the chance.<br>
&quot;Although we get an income and free meals here, we would like to
finish our studies and find a job with a future. That would be better
than staying here with nothing to do,&quot; said Ba Than, 32. He was a
geography sophomore at Moulmein University, but has lived at the camp for
over three years. Courses at Maneeloy cover only English, vocational
skills and sewing, he said.<br>
&quot;Friends who went to the US, Australia and Canada told me that they
already have citizenship, have a chance to study, earn US$8-9 per hour
from their jobs and enjoy privacy,&quot; said Aye Thein Htwe, 29, a
former student at Rangoon University.<br>
He admitted he did not have the same chances, but said living in Thailand
was better than in Burma.<br>
Both disagree with the actions of the self-styled Vigorous Burmese
Student Warriors, who used force to take over the Burmese embassy.<br>
&quot;I have no idea how Johnny and his group got those weapons. We have
seen them, but don't know them well. &quot;I don't think they will return
to Burma or they will be killed. They must be somewhere along the border
area,&quot; Aye Thein Htwe said. </font>
<BR>