Pongpol seeks meeting to lift sanct

Subject: Pongpol seeks meeting to lift sanctions on fishing

agriculture minister and Chart Thai secretary-general, will ask for a
meeting with his Burmese counterpart to seek restoration of fishing
rights for Thai trawlers in Burmese waters.<br>
&quot;The termination of our fishing concessions hurts us a lot because
70% of Thai seafood come from the Andaman Sea. The situation has raised
seafood prices and has made Thai fisherfolk jobless,&quot; said Chart
Thai Party leader Banharn Silpa-archa yesterday.<br>
He expects the planned negotiation by Mr Pongpol to receive a positive
reaction from Burma and the situation should be normalised soon, he
said.<br>
He also hoped the Burmese reinforcement along the border will not lead to
any untoward incident, as Thai soldiers are ensuring the security on Thai
soil.<br>
The government was doing its best to solve the situation but the movement
was not being publicised, he said.<br>
&quot;We must admit that the opening of the border benefited our private
sector including the fishing industry significantly... So we should agree
with them on some issues,&quot; he said.<br>
Mr Banharn insisted the Thai government had done its best in coping with
the embassy siege because all the hostages had been unharmed.<br>
Meanwhile, opposition key figures strongly criticised the government for
failing to solve the conflict with the Burmese government.<br>
New Aspiration Party's deputy leader Veera Musikapong blamed the
government for its &quot;immature&quot; decision in handling the Burmese
embassy seizure as the Burmese hostage-takers had been freed.<br>
Surasak Nananukul, a NAP adviser, said the government was implementing
wrong foreign policies and the situation would not have happened if NAP
leader Chavalit Yongchaiyudh had been prime minister.<br>
-----------------------------------------------=A0 <br>
Road by a city garbage collector who defused it minutes before it was
primed to go off.<br>
Pol Col Saritchai Anekwiang said Samarn Thongchun, 46, found the device
in a blue box on a roadside, about 100km from Wiang Nua Hotel on Rang Nam
Road in Ratchathewee district. <br>
It was made of two bars of TNT charge weighing half-a-pound, and
connected with a wire to a clock powered by a flashlight battery.<br>
The policeman said the garbage collector, who appeared to have some
knowledge of home-made bombs, managed to defuse it and called Phyathai
police <br>
<BR>