French MPs put TOTAL FINA Boycott F

Subject: French MPs put TOTAL FINA Boycott Firmly in Hands of Free Burma Movement

WORLDWIDE TOTAL BOYCOTT SINCE 1996

Upon reading the recently presented French MP mission inquiry(not to the
public for printing delay) into french oil practices in Burma as well as
elsewhere, it is encouraging. There is a full section of recommendation
and analysis where boycott action is discussed in serious detail with
attention to the need and value of boycott action. This can only be
taken as an encouragement to deal with the boycott issue, and to
encourage its use here in France, and against the Total Fina company
abroad.

As you know EUROBURMANET has been pushing this line since the beginning.
And now the French, finally are getting up to speed. I must say it did
take a lot of encouraging and virtual forcing in relations here with
Info-Birmanie to get them this far but it looks like their boat has been
cast off and is on the course inevitably to boycott action. Their
alliance with Belgium on this issue should clearly be noted as an
indication there of.

Further, the French MP report  in a section titled " Limiter les
condemnations pour recours au boycott" stresses how far french
legislation and french consumer awareness is behind the US, and other
European countries, including Norway where the appeal to boycott and not
to buy a consumer product is LEGAL. As well, in the EU, a minister has
publicly said he WOULD NOT BUY SHELL.

Now, this can only be seen as encouraging. And the report does take us
this direction. NO wonder the French right is furious with this report,
as must the Total Fina. (The Elf "acquisition doesnt yet become
official, until the comite of the Conseil des Marchés Financiers
announces the results of the exchange offer on a final basis on October
27, 1999. Then Total Fina will issue a press staement announcing the
results of the French and US exchange offers.)

So the fact is that the MP Commission Inquiry Report takes the boycott
issue up and places it firmly in the hands of the Free Burma Movement
activists and supporters.

If you want to know more about this, contact me now. The report so far
is in French, but if you look at pages 130-133, you will see what I say
is true.

THE TIME TO TAKE UP THE ISSUE OF BOYCOTT IS CLEARLY NOW!!!

LET US WAIT NO LONGER! THE WRITING IS NOT ONLY ON THE WALL ITS HERE
STRAIGHT FROM THE FRENCH MPS.

ANYONE WHO DOESNT SEE THAT JUST DOESNT CARE.

I encourage opinions, comments and discussion by all group readers and
contributors.

Dawn Star
WORLDWIDE TOTAL BOYCOTT