from Andrew (r)

It's been almost 40 years since I graduated from seminary and I've probably
forgotten more than I learned about ethics and comparative religion, but
something tells me there's something fundamentally wrong in the morality
that underlines requests such as:  Gimme the names of the priests who have
been killed or the pastors who have been tortured or the churches have been
burned to the ground.  Seems to me, we learned that at the bottom of all
religious traditions and practices is an attitude we could call 'reverence
for life'.    Evidence for the terrible disrepect for human life is there
in the thousands of pages of case histories that the human rights
organizations and prison watch groups have collected over the last ten
years and more.   The names of the martyrs are not meant to be fodder for a
debate but something to interiorize and to push us ahead in the search for
something better. Perhaps, like what you were trying to do at Leo Nichols
graveside.

Incidentally, speaking of priests, I seem to remember that when thousands
of Karenni villagers were driven from their homes to relocation camps in
96, their priests begged to be allowed to stay with their people in the new
sites.  Permission denied.  They were sent to the episcopal residence in
Loikaw.  I wonder why?

ES
----------
OKKAR66129@xxxxxxx; suantak@xxxxxx; chokhlei@xxxxxxxxxxx; suichin
<suichin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: burmanet-l@xxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: from Andrew
> Date: October 19, 1999 12:50 AM
>
> Your discussions are out of topic, I think. Someone accused that many
priests and pastors
> were killed by the Burmese army. Then I ask him
> to give the names of the priests who were killed
> if this really happened. I revealed my religious background a little bit
in this connection. But your discussions are out of topic. Hopeless.