US POLICY TOWARD BURMA :US DEPARTME

Subject: US POLICY TOWARD BURMA :US DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE BRIEFING

THE FOLOWING EXTRACT[ DOCUMENT] IS   WHAT REFLECTS THE US POLICY TOWARD
BURMA DESPITE THE FACT THAT THE BRIEFING IS DATRED THE 1ST OF OCTOBER 1999.

SINCERELY,

JULIEN MOE

US. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE NEWS BRIEFING

DoD News Briefing

Friday, October 01, 1999
Presenter: Secretary of Defense William S. Cohen

Q: Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi has said international
community, including the United States, has not done enough, is not taking
enough measure, to protect, to save Burma's situation, to become like that
of East Timor. So, what do you have to say to that?

Secretary Cohen: Well, the United States has indicated that we have been
supportive of her efforts to bring about change in Burma. We are not
certainly in a position to start to, to try to dictate to Burma itself. The
ASEAN countries have tried to engage Burma, or Myanmar. Much remains to be
done to achieve that goal. But we are not advocating any action beyond that.
This is something that the people in Burma must choose for themselves, and
they must take into account what the international community's reaction is
to any repressive activities that they engage in.