[burmanet2-l] AUSSIE'S TRUE SKIN

Subject: Re: [burmanet2-l] AUSSIE'S TRUE SKIN

Dear Julien,

I've read and reread the Media Releases that ABC
here in Australia has made available through its
own listserv. I cannot believe that the Minister
can have been as naive as to believe that
Australia's welcoming of Burma could be "read"
as anything other than the Australian
government's normalising the place of the regime
in ASEAN specifically and in Asia generally.

One could be kind and say that there is an
"unfortunate insensitivity" in his comments as
transcribed in his October 1 Press Release: "Mr
Vaile welcomed Burma, Cambodia and Laos into the
Memorandum of Understanding on Standards and
Conformance. "Business in the AFTA-CER region
will benefit from the increased trading
opportunities that result from a harmonised
standards and conformance infrastructure." If
only real harmony was a reality for the Burmese
people! Where has this guy been and who has he
been talking to?

I somehow don't feel that I want to be kind
about this. That a senior Australian Minister
can state this without even the smallest
qualification to indicate an understanding that
trade and human rights are inextricably linked
particularly in a country with the record of
Burma means that:

1. we activists here in Australia are still not
getting the message through, and
2. that we are dealing with a government that
has little respect for human rights in relation
to its own indigenous peoples and that is
currently attempting a name change of the
national Human Rights and Equal Opportunity
Commission such as to remove the term Human
Rights from the title, and
3. that we are dealing with a government that
puts profits before people, as exemplified by
the Jabiluka situation

All ways we need to work harder in Australia and
take a stronger stand to put human rights abuses
firmly on the Australian agenda. The Australian
people can be moved to support the struggle for
democracy and human rights as many of you will
know from the rallies in Australia recently to
support the East Timorese people's struggle. The
strength of feeling on this issue did bring the
Australian government to action. Similarly the
support for the Reconciliation movement in
Australia has also been a sign of hope.

But it is obvious that the underpinning,
continuous theme here in Australia is the
primacy of the trade imperative in the Foreign
Affairs portfolio. It is time that the
Australian government got serious about putting
human rights before trade and taking the trade
out of foreign affairs.

DFAT they call it here - Department of Foreign
Affairs and Trade. I just call it the de fat
boys just keep on getting fatter!

Thank you for bringing the news to Burmanet. We
will keep on working, and working harder.

Kindest regards,
Susan Locke
FNLDA