Junta Officer: Dealing in Drugs Oka

Subject: Junta Officer: Dealing in Drugs Okay Until 2005

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01BF1DC4.D8240CE0

SHAN HERALD AGENCY FOR NEWS

No: 10 - 25

Junta Officer: Dealing in Drugs Okay Until 2005

A close subordinate of Gen Khin Nyunt was reported to have told a group =
of=20
drug operators in eastern Shan State that they could engage in drugs =
until=20
the year 2005, reported an informed source from the border.

Maj. Nyan Myint, company commander, LIB 225, who is reported to be a =
loyal=20
subordinate of Lt. Gen. Khin Nyunt, Secretary -1 of the State Peace and=20
Development Council, told a group of drug operators in Mongtaw, Mongton=20
Township, "The State's goal is to make the trans-Salween areas a =
drug-free=20
zone by the year 2005. It implies that people can engage in drug =
activities=20
for the next 5-6 years. Opportunity comes to those of you who are =
astute.=20
Anyone of you who needs me, I'll be happy to render my assistance and=20
cooperation to him".

The meeting was held towards the end of July, he said.

The report tallied with what the CNN reported in January of Gen. Khin=20
Nyunt's meeting with Pao Yuchang, the Wa leader, in Panghsang, where Pao =

told Secretary - 1: "If we have any more poppy here after 2005, you can=20
come back and chop my head off".

Mongtaw is the headquarters of Col. Win Kyi, Commander of the Military=20
Operations Command there. It used to be where Khun Seng a.k.a Chang=20
Ping-yuan, uncle of Khun Sa, operated his laboratories. It now boasts =
three=20
"factories", said the source.

One is a heroin refinery reportedly owned by Tin Win, Lahu militia =
leader,=20
and Hla Aung a.k.a Li Shen, ex-MTA commander. Khun Sa's second son, Zam=20
Hurng a.k.a Chang Weigang, is believed to own a share in this factory.

Another is  also a joint venture between Khing Pi Lisaw and Yang Er. It=20
produces heroin but also presses amphetamine powder, bought from the=20
notorious Wei Xuegang, into tablets.

The third one, newly set-up, is operated by Liu Zipeng a.k.a Sai Yi =
a.k.a=20
Muling "the Red Cap", Hsiao Yin and Li Zigao. Li was arrested by the =
Shan=20
State Army South of Yawdserk on 3 September on drug charges and was=20
reported later to have escaped his captors on 14 September.

///END\\\
For further information, please contact S.H.A.N. at:
Shan Herald Agency for News.
P.O. Box. 15, Nonghoi P.O., 50007, Chiangmai, Thailand
Ph/Fax: (053) 807 121
e-mail: <shan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

S.H.A.N. is a non-profit making, independent Shan media group. It is not =

affiliated to any political or armed organization.=20

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01BF1DC4.D8240CE0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D4><STRONG><EM>SHAN HERALD AGENCY FOR=20
NEWS</EM></STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D3>23 October 1999<BR><BR>No: 10 -=20
25<BR><BR></FONT><FONT size=3D4><STRONG>Junta Officer: Dealing in Drugs =
Okay Until=20
2005</STRONG></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D3><BR>A close subordinate of Gen =
Khin Nyunt was=20
reported to have told a group of <BR>drug operators in eastern Shan =
State that=20
they could engage in drugs until <BR>the year 2005, reported an informed =
source=20
from the border.<BR><BR>Maj. Nyan Myint, company commander, LIB 225, who =
is=20
reported to be a loyal <BR>subordinate of Lt. Gen. Khin Nyunt, Secretary =
-1 of=20
the State Peace and <BR>Development Council, told a group of drug =
operators in=20
Mongtaw, Mongton <BR>Township, "The State's goal is to make the =
trans-Salween=20
areas a drug-free <BR>zone by the year 2005. It implies that people can =
engage=20
in drug activities <BR>for the next 5-6 years. Opportunity comes to =
those of you=20
who are astute. <BR>Anyone of you who needs me, I'll be happy to render =
my=20
assistance and <BR>cooperation to him".<BR><BR>The meeting was held =
towards the=20
end of July, he said.<BR><BR>The report tallied with what the CNN =
reported in=20
January of Gen. Khin <BR>Nyunt's meeting with Pao Yuchang, the Wa =
leader, in=20
Panghsang, where Pao <BR>told Secretary - 1: "If we have any more poppy =
here=20
after 2005, you can <BR>come back and chop my head off".<BR><BR>Mongtaw =
is the=20
headquarters of Col. Win Kyi, Commander of the Military <BR>Operations =
Command=20
there. It used to be where Khun Seng a.k.a Chang <BR>Ping-yuan, uncle of =
Khun=20
Sa, operated his laboratories. It now boasts three <BR>"factories", said =
the=20
source.<BR><BR>One is a heroin refinery reportedly owned by Tin Win, =
Lahu=20
militia leader, <BR>and Hla Aung a.k.a Li Shen, ex-MTA commander. Khun =
Sa's=20
second son, Zam <BR>Hurng a.k.a Chang Weigang, is believed to own a =
share in=20
this factory.<BR><BR>Another is&nbsp; also a joint venture between Khing =
Pi=20
Lisaw and Yang Er. It <BR>produces heroin but also presses amphetamine =
powder,=20
bought from the <BR>notorious Wei Xuegang, into tablets.<BR><BR>The =
third one,=20
newly set-up, is operated by Liu Zipeng a.k.a Sai Yi a.k.a <BR>Muling =
"the Red=20
Cap", Hsiao Yin and Li Zigao. Li was arrested by the Shan <BR>State Army =
South=20
of Yawdserk on 3 September on drug charges and was <BR>reported later to =
have=20
escaped his captors on 14 September.<BR><BR>///END\\\<BR>For further=20
information, please contact S.H.A.N. at:<BR>Shan Herald Agency for =
News.<BR>P.O.=20
Box. 15, Nonghoi P.O., 50007, Chiangmai, Thailand<BR>Ph/Fax: (053) 807=20
121<BR>e-mail: &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:shan@xxxxxxxxxxxx";>shan@xxxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><BR>S.H.A.=
N. is a=20
non-profit making, independent Shan media group. It is not =
<BR>affiliated to any=20
political or armed organization. <BR></DIV></FONT></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01BF1DC4.D8240CE0--