[Thai] Daily urges concrete strate

Subject: [Thai]  Daily urges concrete strategy in ties with Burma

BBC Summary of World Broadcasts
November 09, 1999

Daily urges concrete strategy in ties with Burma

Source: 'Siam Rat', Bangkok, in Thai 6 Nov 99

Text of report by Thai newspaper 'Siam Rat' on 6th November

The current problems in our relations with Burma should not treated in
impulsive manner. Thailand and
Burma have been neighbours for ages and this situation cannot be changed.
There will always be
problems; as old ones are solved, new ones will follow. This is why we say
the problems should not be
handled in rash manner. In addition, the problems between the two countries
are connected, they are
not entirely isolated from one another. Therefore, it is prudent to analyze
the problems in order to set a
clear strategy so that they can be solved in systematic and step-by-step
manner.

For example, the issue of Burmese students taking refuge in our country was
a low profile issue at first,
but it became a hot topic after the incident of Burmese students resorting
to terrorism to seize the
Burmese embassy and take hostages. The topic became so hot that it
overshadowed the issue of
Burmese workers.

It is Thailand's policy to reduce the size of foreign workers, but it has
granted a reprieve to foreign
workers on several occasions. It currently is determined to evict foreign
workers, particularly to
repatriate Burmese workers. Regardless of whether it was a coincidence,
Burma closed the border
passes and said it would not accept repatriation of Burmese workers.
Therefore, the Burmese workers
could not be repatriated and will remain the burden for Thailand to feed
and shelter. No one knows how
long this burden will continue.

Regarding industrial operators who prefer Burmese workers, it has nothing
to do with the risks
associated with the jobs or with Thai workers resisting to perform messy
jobs. These industrialists
basically want to employ Burmese workers because of their lower wages.
Their industries currently have
to suspend operations and suffer considerable loss of revenue as a result.
More new problems are
expected to follow which could lead to another reprieve on the employment
of Burmese labour.

The above example shows that without a clear and firm strategy on relations
with Burma - which should
not change regardless of who becomes the government -and systematic and
unified implementation of
the strategy, the problems will continue in a vicious circle.

Internet ProLink PC User