Terry Cottam

Terry Cottam embodied unrelenting principaled determination in his
modest, brillant and unassuming but towering figure and personality. His
sense of human and wit, and steadfast pioneering attachment to the cause
of Free Burma inspired others, including myself, that the movement has a
living diversity to which is must be firmly dedicated to be real. The
Free Burma Coalition brought us together like two passing ships at sea.
We flashed lights and both went on our way, separated but united
by wide ocean of committment and single-minded loyalty to the cause of
freedom and democracy for the people of Burma against the junta and
unchecked illegal exploitation of the country. From the other side of
the Atlantic I worked with him on the PepsiCo movement and thank him now
once again for helping to show the way that what we do is not only right
and correct, but brings results.

He knocked down the lies and haughty posture of a billion company and in
his way cut through the glitz and glamour of the lies in PepsiCo
publicity and the arrogance of cutting a deal with the dictatorship.
We lost a valuable man, a man who wore his battle scars privately with
indifference to the personal sacrifice of his work.

May his memory be a binding reminder of what we can do together, and
what he wanted us to do and to keep doing, in each and every way, no
matter how small it may seem to be, or how large and ambitious, that all
of us and all of our work denouncing the lies and hypocricy, cutting out
the falseness and ignorance of what seeks to betray and undermine cannot
and will not succeed. Terry Cottam knew that well enough to give and
share his life with the cause of Free Burma. There are many who will say
that one single man cannot move the world. Terry Cottam knew that this
was not so. And this is what he did. And he shook the world and made it
a better place for all of us. Thank you Terry. Large or small there
never was a better man. We do not and will not forget how you touched
many of us and how we will carry on your work. So as you go in peace,
we stay for now, and fare thee well.

And thank you for sharing your life with the Free Burma Coalition
Movement.