Times: Rachel interview : WHAT WOUL

Subject: Times: Rachel interview : WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

comment
check this out on how to go astray today at turn of the century on human
rights activism/

Goldwyn:  "If I say lots of bad things, they'll think he'll do the same
> and never let him out. I know people are going to criticise me. They can say
> what they like. It's a free country."

HERE SHE CLEARLY TAKES A POSITION NOT TO UPSET THE REGIME OTHERWISE
COMPLACENT DO NOTHING SUPPORT OF REGIME ; SHE IS CERTAINLY NOT USING HER
FREEDOM TO HELP THE CAUSE OF FREEDOM IN BURMA AS SUU KYI HAS ASKED
PEOPLE TO DO/ SHE IS PLAYING DUMB AND SILENT BECAUSE SHE HAS CUT A DEAL
FOR HER QUICK RELEASE AND IS A VIRTUAL HOSTAGE OF THE REGIME HANDLERS
WHO WILL USE HER TO DISORIENT THE FREE BURMA MOVEMENT OUTSIDE AND ITS
ACTIVISM. IT IS UP TO THE MOVEMENT TO SHOW HOW SHE IS TOTALLY
DISCREDITED AND A PRO JUNTA MOUTHPIECE OF CONSTRUCTIVE ENGAGEMENT / SHE
IS ON PROBATION AND HAS TO PLAY THE GAME NOW FOR THE JUNTA

> LONDON TIMES
> November 9 1999 BRITAINThe woman who tangled with the Burma regime talks to
> Tim Reid
> ©
>
> Rachel Goldwyn home again on the banks of the Thames at Barnes, southwest
> London, after being released from jail in Rangoon
> Photograph: CHRIS HARRIS
> Freedom songs protester tells of life in jail
>
> TWENTY-FOUR hours after Rachel Goldwyn had been released from Rangoon's
> Insein jail, after serving only six weeks of her seven-year sentence, she
> was dancing and juggling tennis balls in a karaoke bar 400 miles north of
> the Burmese capital with two enormously relieved parents.

> It was an utterly bizarre end to six weeks that turned her world on its head

YOU SEE IT TURNE HER WORLD UPSIDE DOWN BECAUSE SHE DIDNT KNOW WHERE SHE
WAS

> - from Burmese jail to Burmese bar and back to her family's large
> comfortable home in Barnes, southwest London. Speaking from home, after
> flying into Heathrow yesterday morning, Ms Goldwyn, 28, told the
> extraordinary story of her arrest and interrogation, her weeks of solitary
> confinement, and why she believes that Burmese pro-democracy campaigners are
> wrong to denounce her decision to return there to undertake a
> state-supervised research project as a "shameless betrayal" of the cause.

STATE SUPERVISED RESEARCH § GET THAT§ JUNTA SCENARIO DO THIS SAY THAT
THINK THIS OR DEAL OVER§ REMEMBER SHE CUT A DEAL TO GET OUT AND HAS TO
PAY BACK NOW

> Far from being an impulsive act, she admitted yesterday that her
> pro-democracy demonstration in Rangoon that led to her arrest had been
> planned for over a year. Her decision came after eight months working in a
> Burmese refugee camp in northern Thailand in 1997.

EIGHT MONTHS IN A REFUGEE CAMP? WHAT CAMP? WHO DID SHE WORK WITH? WHAT
WAS THE NAME OF THE CAMP? WHERE WAS IT LOCATED? CAN SHE PROVE THIS? AND
SO WHAT? SPIES INFILTRATE MOVEMENTS AND COUNTRIES SPEND YEARS A LIFE
TIME INSIDE/ SHE IS BEING USED BY JUNTA NOW
IT DOESNT REALLY MATTER WHAT SHE DID BEFORE SHE IS DISCREDITED BY HER
RECENT DEAL

IF SHE PLANNED THIS FOR OVER A YEAR WAS HER DEAL THEN PART OF A RELEASE
AND THIS
SELF PROMOTION PART OF THE DEAL SHE IMAGINED?

> On August 12 this year, she left the family home with her backpack, telling
> her parents Edward, a television documentary maker, and Charmian, a GP, that
> she was going to Germany. Two days later she was in Rangoon.

SHE LIED TO HER FAMILY THEN FAMILY COMES AND BAILS HER OUT
SHE IS LYING TO HERSELF AND THE MOVEMENT AND THE JUNTA IS PLAYING WITH
HER LIES AND TIED HER UP

> A month later on September 7, she woke early, weakened from a two-day
> stomach bug but determined to carry out her plan. "I was a bit nervous. I
> knew I would get arrested, but thought I would just get deported," she said.

SO SHE THOUGHT THAT WOULD BE A FAST WAY HOME TO MAKE HEADLINES AND GET
DEPORTED/ THIS IS NOT WHAT DETERMINED ACTIVISM IS ABOUT THIS IS NOT WHAT
WILL CHANGE A REGIME BUT LETS REGIME CLEAN OUT THE STREETS OF LONELY
LOST AND CONFUSED CHILDREN

> At 5pm she chained herself to a street sign on a busy Rangoon intersection,
> sang songs, displayed banners and shouted slogans, including "Democracy is
> our cause" and "Release all political prisoners", to a crowd of about 600.

DEMOCRACY IS NOT HER CAUSE SELF PROMOTION AND HEADLINES ONLY
WHAT HAS SHE EVER DONE TO PROMOTE DEMOCRACY IN BURMA EXCEPT BY PROMOTING
HER OWN
HAPLESS SITUTION AND NOW SHE IS GOING TO PLAY JUNTA ROLE IN DRUG
PROPAGANDA WORK BECAUSE THE REGIME KNOWS IT NEEDS TO GIVE WORLD RIGHT
IMAGE ON DRUG ERADICATION TO GET FUNDS AND CREDITS HOW STUPID OF HER HOW
CUNNING OF REGIME /HOW CHEAP OF BOTH

> "It lasted 13 minutes.

ANDY WARHOL WHO I KNEW PERSONALLY /MY ROOMMATE IN NEW YORK WORKED DAILY
AT THE FACTORY / SAID BE FAMOUS FOR FIFTEEN MINUTES/ SHE DIDNT EVEN GET
THAT

Then four plainclothes officers dragged me off to a
> police station 200 yards away. I was handcuffed and people were taking my
> mugshot. I kept trying to break the tension by sticking my tongue out."

HOW DIGNIFIED/ ANYONE GET ANY OF THESE GROTESQUE PHOTOS MAKES ME THINK
OF GANDHI OR SUU KYI. IMAGINE

She was then taken to an immigration building and interrogated by three
men
> for most of the night and the next day. That afternoon she typed out a
> statement denouncing the regime, human rights violations, its death squads
> and admitting that she had planned her protest for a year.

HERE SHE IS THE DETERMINE STONG FIGHTER

> Despite repeated requests and a "screaming row" with one officer, her
> interrogators had failed to contact the British Embassy. "At 4am I announced
> I was going on hunger strike. Three hours later they took me to Insein jail.

THE HUNGER STRIKER

> I was taken to a solitary cell, two and a half metres wide, with a wooden
> slat bed, a little plastic bucket and a water pot. By this stage, I hadn't
> eaten anything for five days.
> "They offered meals of boiled egg, rice and fried vegetables twice a day,
> but I refused. They became really worried about my health, taking my blood
> pressure and weight several times a day. I didn't see any torture - they
> wouldn't let me see any, would they? - but I did see people in chains."

PEOPLE IN CHAINS IN A PRISON? INCREDIBLE MOVING STORY

> A week after her arrest, Karen Williams, the British Vice-Consul, arrived to
> tell Ms Goodwyn that her parents knew of her arrest. She brought chocolate
> digestives and made her eat them to show the guards the hunger strike was
> over.

THE EMBASSY BREAKS THE STRIKE AND STARTS SMOOTHING OUT THE PROBLEMS

Two days later she was tried in the prison compound and sentenced to
> seven years' hard labour for "endangering peace, security and stability". "I
> couldn't believe the sentence. I sat in my cell and cried all night."

OH THE POOR GIRL AND SHE THOUGHT SHE WOULD BE HOME WITH MUMMIE AND
DADDIE
BUT THE STORY GOES ON? SHE IS NOT ALONE...

> Meanwhile, her parents in London were plotting a way to free her. They sent
> a fax to the British Embassy imploring their daughter to "toe the line",
> which was later shown to her.

BE A GOOD GIRL AND DADDY WILL DO EVERYTHING

> After obtaining visas, they flew to Rangoon five weeks ago for an
> extraordinary VIP reception at the airport, where they were whisked through
> customs and on to a meeting with the Minister for Home Affairs.

ITS GOOD TO BE SERIOUS RESPECTFUL LIKE BUSINESSMEN MAKES REGIME LOOK
ALSO SERIOUS AND RESPECTFUL MUST GIVE SERIOUS RESPESCT TO GENERALS NOT
ACT LIKE FREEDOM SINGING POET DEMONSTRATOR FOR DEMOCRACY HOW UNSERIOUS
HOW DISRESPECTFUL DISORDERLY NOT GOOD FOR JUNTA NOT GOOD FOR DADDY NOT
GOOD FOR ............DEMOCRACY

SO JUNTA CHANGES SCENE CHANGES ACT CHANGES PLAY YOU DO THIS YOU ACT LIKE
THIS
AND NOW IT IS OKAY NO MORE CONFUSION NO MORE SILLY BUSINESS

It was at
> that first meeting that they suggested a trip around Burma with Rachel so
> that they "could see what the country was really like". That idea became
> reality last week when the group undertook a supervised tour to the
> semiautonomous region of Monglar to look at "counter-narcotic measures".

OH HOW NICE YES LIKE GUIDED TOUR? HAVE NICE TOURIST TOUR LIKE TOURIST
GUIDE TOUR THROUGH UNITED NATIONS MAKES YOU FEEL IMPORTANT PERSON KNOW
HOW IT IS ON INSIDE SEE HAPPY SMILING PEOPLE OH SORRY HOSPITALS? NOT THE
TIME TO SEE. THE UNIVERSITIES. OH NOT NOW CLOSED STUDENTS NOT SERIOUS...

> With Ms Goldwyn's parents' daily meetings with the authorities,

INTEROGATIONS BRAIN WASHING NEGOTATIONS TALK TALK TALK
YES THEY ARE NOW PLAYING ALONG GAME WELL

things
> dramatically improved. Soon they were visiting her in jail every other day,
> bringing books and "heaps of food". It was during those heavily monitored
> meetings that Ms Goldwyn proposed the idea of a "research trip" to form part
> of a British master's degree.

OH TAKE CARE OF BABY NICE GIRL GOOD STUDENT STUDY STUDY STUDY BUT NO
UNIVERSITES OPEN IN BURMA YES GO HOME WITH DEGREE WORK HARD TALK HOW
GOOD BURMA IS TRYIING TO BE
SERIOUS MEMBER NATION OF WORLD COMMUNITY

> By her own admission yesterday, Ms Goldwyn is still very confused.

SHE ALWAYS WAS CONFUSED AND STILL IS AND IS PROBABLY GOING TO HAVE A
NERVOUS BREAKDOWN SOONER OR LATER AND SHOULD BE IN THERAPY WHICH SHE
PROBABLY IS GOING TO DO ANYWAY

At one
> point she said: "You have got to imagine what it was like. You are in a room
> full of people listening to everything you are saying, your parents turn up
> and are desperate to get you out. They were beside themselves. What would
> you do?"

WHAT WOULD YOU DO? SHUT UP PLAY THE GAME DADDY IS HERE STUPID GIRL. WHAT
DO YOU WANT THIS IS IT JAIL OR FREEDOM. ENGLAND OR BURMA PRISON.
INHERITANCE AND JUNTA DEAL OR
CUT OFF FOREVER. OH THE TERRIBLE STOMACH AND HEAD PAINS. CONFUSED GIRL
SHOULD NEVER HAVE GONE TO BURMA AND NOW KNOWS SHE MADE BIG BIG MISTAKE

> But she fiercely defends her decision to recant and return under state
> supervision.

FIERCELY FIERCELY WHAT WONDER WOMAN DETERMINATION A TRUE MARYTR A
HERO!!! WE LOVE HEROS, TRUE FREEDOM FIGHTER SO STRONG SO EAGER TO DO
GOOD AND LEAD A JOAN OF ARC!

On her release, she signed an undertaking never to indulge in
> political activity in Burma again.

AND SHE THEN SIGNED AWAY ALL HER PRINCIPLES NOT UNDER DISTRESS BUT UNDER
ORDER FROM DADDY AND MUMMIE AND CUT THE DEAL WITH JUNTA

DID SHE RENOUNCE IT UNDER STRESS WHEN RELEASED NO BECAUSE DADDY AND
MUMMIE IN ON DEAL TOO

As she was discussing this yesterday, her
> sister, Ruth, entered the room with a fax from Burma Campaign UK denouncing
> her "selfish betrayal" of the pro-democracy cause as "utterly shameful".

> "I still want human rights and democracy in Burma," she said. "This is the
> same mission, it's just different tactics.

SAME MISSION DIFFERENT TACTICS YES YES GOOD JUNTA LIKES THIS DO WORK FOR
FREEDOM AND DEMCRACY COME WITH US WE WILL NOT FOLLOW YOU WE WILL NOT
TRACE YOUR STEPS OR TALK TO PEOPLE YOU TALK TO NO WE NO NOTHING IN BURMA
YOU FREE TO GO AS YOU PLEASE EVEN GO TO PIPELINE SEE WHAT GOOD
DEVELOPMENT PIPELINE IS DOING FOR BURMA YES GAS GOES TO THAILAND NOT
BURMA NO PROBLEM WE LOVE THAI PEOPLE SO GIVE GAS TO THEM TOO OUR PEOPLE
DO NOT NEED OR WANT GAS OR RESOURCES WE HAVE TOO MUCH ANYWAY AND DONT
KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH IT ALL THANKS TO BRTISH AND FRENCH NOW WE KNOW

If I feel the trip is a waste of
> time, that the authorities are manipulating me totally, I can always come
> back and walk away from it. But it is an avenue that has to be explored. I
> think I have achieved a lot already. I've put human rights in Burma on the
> map for a lot of people in Britain."

YES YES ME RACHEL DID SO MUCH FOR BURMA PUT BURMA ON MAP FANTASTIC NO
ONE KNEW ABOUT BURMA BEFORE NOT MANY NOW ME AND JUNTA WE PUT BURMA ON
MAP TOGETHER AND SHOW HOW MUCH BETTER BURMA IS TOGETHER WONDERFUL COME
BACK AGAIN ANY TIME DONT FORGET DONT LOOK BACK LOOK FORWARD TOMORROW
TOGETHER GREAT FUTURE FORGET STUPID SILLY PAST LITTLE GIRL TOMORROW YOU
BIG GREAT BIG  BEAUTIFUL WOMAN WITH BURMA WE LOVE RACHEL GOLDWYN AND
DADDY

> Ms Goldwyn and her family are in talks with the School of Oriental and
> African Studies, part of London University, about the possibility of
> studying anti-drug measures in Burma as part of a one-year master's degree.
> The move has been sanctioned by the Burmese Government.

FULL GOVERNMENT SUPPORT OH HOW WONDERFUL AND NOW PROBABLY WILL HAVE
BACKING OF BRITISH GOVRENEMNT AND BURMESE GOVT MAY EVEN WORK FOR BRITISH
FOREIGN OFFICE HOW WONDERFUL CAN PROMOTE ERADICATION PROGRAM CAN PROMOTE
BRITISH BUSINESS CAN PROMOTE JUNTA REFORMS

> She said she was also acutely aware of not criticising the regime for the
> sake of James Mawdsley, another British pro-democracy demonstrator, who was
> jailed in September in Burma for 17 years.

ACUTELY ACUTELY YES EVEN THOUGH JAMES DOESNT WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH
RACHEL SHE HAS THE AUDACITY AND LACK OF SHAME TO MENTION HIM IN THE
CONTEXT OF NOT CRITICIZING THE REGIME WHEN HE IS THE DETERMINED ACTIVIST
AND SHE IS CHEAP IMPOSTURE

 He has shown no wish to negotiate his release.

"If I say lots of bad things, they'll think he'll do the same
> and never let him out.

AND SHE HAS AUDACITY TO SPEAK FOR HIM AND EVEN ENTER HIS MIND THIS IS
JUNTA LOGIC AND JUNTA MANIPULATION IT IS POISON IN HER BRAIN  SHE IS NOW
NOT TO BE TOUCHED BY FREE BURMA MOVEMENT WHO WANTS HER SURELY TO USE
MEDIA AND EVEN GO ON SPEAKING TOUR SIGN PUBLISHING DEALS USE FOREIGN
MEDIA YES YES YES THIS IS GOOD FOR RACHEL GOOD FOR JUNTA

I know people are going to criticise me. They can say
> what they like. It's a free country."

LIKE IN BURMA FREE COUNTRY GENERALS LET ME GO DO WHAT I WANT WHERE I
WANT LIFE IS WONDERFUL WHEN YOU TALK TO THE GENERALS....